Ms Joanna Christoforou > Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP Offices
5-10 ST PAUL'S CHURCHYARD
- Go to...
Ms Joanna Christoforou
Joanna Christoforou is a partner in the antitrust practice at Morgan Lewis. Joanna has experience representing clients in EU and UK competition matters before the European Commission, the European Court, the Competition and Markets Authority, the Financial Conduct Authority, the Competition Appeal Tribunal, and antitrust authorities in other jurisdictions. She defends clients in relation to investigations, competition disputes, cartels, dawn raids, dominance, pricing, discounts, promotions, parallel trade, and refusals to supply. For more information, view Joanna’s bio at https://www.morganlewis.com/bios/joannachristoforou.
Joanna also acts in relation to mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, and joint ventures, and provides advice in the application of competition law to a wide range of commercial agreements and practices. Joanna works across a broad range of industries, including retail, grocery, financial services, commodities, and healthcare.
Member, Law Society Competition Section
Cambridge University, Downing College, 1992, BA and MA (Cantab), Law; Cambridge Judge Business School, 1993, Postgraduate Diploma, Management Studies; Cambridge University, Downing College, 1994, LLM
Led by London managing partner Frances Murphy (‘a valuable ally and formidable opponent‘), Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP’s City team is known for handling complex regulatory investigations; in this space, its pharmaceutical sector work is particularly prominent. Other areas of focus include enforcement matters, merger filings and state aid. The London group is part of the US-based firm’s global network, which comprises 150 lawyers split across Europe, Asia and the Americas. Omar Shah and Joanna Christoforou are also noted.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP represents claimants and defendants in standalone and follow-on litigation. The group is noted for its involvement in high-profile and precedent-setting cases; of recent note, the team was successful in the UK Supreme Court when it acted for Sainsbury’s in litigation against Visa over multilateral interchange fees. London managing partner Frances Murphy heads up the practice. Joanna Christoforou and associate Emma Walsh are also key names to note.
- Competition litigation - London > Dispute resolution
- EU and competition - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Asset based lending
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Finance > Securitisation
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- Finance > Debt capital markets
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Employment > Employers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds (including infrastructure funds)
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Employment > Immigration