Tom Whelan > McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP Offices
- Go to...
Partner Tom Whelan focuses his practice on private equity, advising private equity sponsors, multi strategy funds, other private capital investors and corporates, helping them deploy capital across the world.
Tom handles buyouts, including secondary buy-outs and secondaries, take privates and co-investments, general M&A, bolt-ons, management incentive plans, restructurings and refinancings through to exits. During the course of any investment, Tom advises on portfolio company work and any changes to management incentive plans.
Tom regularly executes transactions in regulated sectors such as healthcare, technology, media and telecoms, financial services, water and energy, as well as handling many transactions in other sectors such as real estate, hotels and leisure, food, consumer and retail, industrial and automotive.
View more at: https://www.mwe.com/people/tom-whelan/
- Law Society of England & Wales
University of Durham, BA (Hons), 1990
Able to leverage its significant global footprint on multi-jurisdictional transactions, McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP quite frequently drives major deals for a range of significant operators in the worlds of life science, healthcare, energy, retail, and technology. Practice head Tom Whelan consistently handles matters across the aforementioned sectors, as well as in hospitality, consumer goods, and manufacturing. Nicholas Azis acts for a myriad of privately owned and publicly listed entities, with recent highlights including transatlantic deals in the leisure and biopharmaceutical industries. Stuart Mathews ‘ extensive cross-border capabilities see him advising a mix of British, European, African, and American-based clients on a host of international transactions. Eleanor West focuses on private equity buy-out transactions and direct investments, while Calum Thom is noted for his knowledge of the chemical and medical devices sectors.
McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP stands out in the market for its strong presence in the healthcare sector, where it acts for a range of sponsors on investments and acquisitions; the group also advises life sciences and healthcare companies on exits to PE funds. In this work, the team benefits from its healthcare regulatory expertise. It is also well-placed to handle cross-border deals, where it draws on its network of offices across Europe and the United States. Eleanor West is noted for her focus on healthcare deals, while practice head Tom Whelan is active across energy, technology and leisure.
- Leading individuals - London > Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m - London > Corporate and commercial
- Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m) - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Gaming and betting
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Finance > High yield
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employers
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Finance > Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Real estate > Property finance
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech