Ms Andrea Kramer > McDermott Will & Emery LLP > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
McDermott Will & Emery LLP Offices
444 WEST LAKE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60606-0029
- Go to...
Ms Andrea Kramer
US & International Tax
Andrea (Andie) is a partner, she has a sophisticated and unique multi-disciplinary legal practice that covers all aspects of financial transactions and derivatives, with a focus on taxation, regulation, contract design, trading operations and documentation. She helps clients successfully resolve difficult legal situations, including federal and state regulatory matters, adversarial proceedings, and tax planning and compliance issues, addressing interrelated business objectives, regulatory and legal requirements, and public policy. Andie serves as head of the Firm’s Financial Products, Trading and Derivatives Group.
In recent years Andie has focused on federal administrative and legislative counseling, financial risk management and hedging procedures, international dispute resolution, proprietary trading policies, codes of conduct and controls, tax compliance and controversy, and insurance product designs. Andie provides compliance advice with respect to the Dodd-Frank rules that apply to swap dealers, major swap participants, commercial end users and financial end users. She works closely with clients to evaluate their use of financial products and the effects of these products on operations, existing contractual relationships, and regulatory and tax obligations. Andie designs, structures and defends a range of financial product transactions, including complex hedging and risk management programs.
Andie has extensive experience advising energy companies, public utilities, pipelines, generators, power marketers, wind-power companies, commodity traders, dealers and hedge funds. She has conducted workshops on negotiating energy and natural resource contracts in Malaysia, Egypt, Singapore, Gabon, Kenya, Uganda and Côte d’Ivoire.
Andie is a founding member of the firm’s Diversity Committee and Chair Emerita of the Gender Diversity Subcommittee.
Core Capabilities: Energy, Federal Taxation, Structured Finance, Derivatives & Financial Products, Tax.
In addition to her full time legal career, Andie is co-author with her husband, Alton B. Harris, of the book Breaking Through Bias: Communication Techniques for Women to Succeed at Work, which was named one of the best business books of 2016 by Women@Work and “a well – organized, well-thought-out call to action” by Publishers Weekly. She is also co-author of over 75 articles and blog posts on promoting diversity and overcoming gender stereotypes and biases. Andie has spoken at more than 200 national diversity conferences, trade association meetings, professional service firms, multinational corporations, podcasts, and webinars on the importance of assuring women equal access to career opportunities and leadership roles.
Among her many honors and awards, Andie was named one of the 50 Most Influential Women Lawyers in America by the National Law Journal for her “demonstrated power to change the legal landscape, shape public affairs, launch industries, and do big things.” She received the Leadership Recognition Award from the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois, the Inspiration Award from the Coalition of Women in Law Initiatives; the Top Women Lawyers in Leadership from the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois; the 2014 Gender Diversity Private Practice Lawyer of the Year (Chambers USA Women in Law) for her outstanding contributions to furthering the advancement of women in law; the Founder’s Award from the Chicago Bar Association’s Alliance for Women; and the Women With Vision Award from the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois. Finding that mentorship opportunities for young professional women are limited in most professional organizations, Andie co-founded and serves as the Chair of the board of directors of the Women’s Leadership and Mentoring Alliance (WLMA).
Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism, Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Board, board member
National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL)
Women’ Bar Association of Illinois (WBAI)
WBAI Leadership Institute, program developer and co-chair
Women’s Council on Energy and the Environment (WCEE)
Women’s Leadership and Mentoring Alliance (WLMA), founding board member and current board chair
Energy Bar Association (EBA) (former member)
Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
American Bar Association (ABA)
The Chicago Network (TCN)
Chicago Finance Exchange (CFE) (former member)
International Bar Association (IBA), Arbitration Committee and Section on Business Law (Committee on Issues and Trading in Securities)
International Association of Financial Engineers (IAFE) (former member)
International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), Committee on North American Tax.
American College of Investment Counsel (ACIC), fellow.
Chicago Bar Association CBA), Tax Executive Committee and former chair, Division on Tax Shelters, Real Estate, and Partnerships
Investing in Justice Campaign
The Women’s Treatment Center, founding board member, past chair, and current vice-chair
Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund, board member
Chicago Foundation for Women (CFW), past chair
Eamon Shannon Special Education Program, former member executive planning committee
Northwestern University School of Law, JD, cum laude, 1978
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BA, summa cum laude, 1975
United States > Tax > Financial productsWithin: Leading lawyers - Within: Hall of Fame -
The team at McDermott Will & Emery LLP advises on the US tax aspects of cross-border matters for large financial institutions. Partners leading the group’s work include Andrea Kramer in Chicago, and David Taub and John Lutz in New York. The team is working with Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Citibank on the tax aspects of long-term financing products, specialty finance products, derivative transactions and structured finance arrangements. Kramer represented a number of clients in the CFTC, CME Group and New York Mercantile Exchange investigations over the application of the Commodity Exchange Act and various exchange rules. The firm welcomed Charles Moll and Troy Van Dongen into its San Francisco office and counsel Marcy Jo Mandel into its Los Angeles office in August 2018; the trio joined from Winston & Strawn LLP. The group also added Steven Hadjilogiou and two associates in Miami in March 2018 from Baker McKenzie LLP. Departures included Washington DC-based Robin Greenhouse to the IRS as a division counsel in June 2018, and Dallas-based Kristina Novak to the IRS as an associate chief counsel in August 2018. In addition, New York-based Madeline Chiampou departed to S&P Global as tax counsel in September 2018, and Gale Chan, a Washington DC.partner, joined PwC as a tax manager in August 2018. Additionally, Alan Schwartz joined Reed Smith LLP in 2019.
- Hall of Fame - United States > Tax > Financial products
- Leading lawyers - United States > Tax > Financial products
- Financial products - United States > Tax
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Insurance: non-contentious
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to insurers
- Industry focus > Healthcare: health insurers
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Tax > US taxes: contentious
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Tax > Financial products
- Tax > International tax
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: toxic tort - defense
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (International Trade Commission)
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Finance > Commercial lending