Mr Daniel Rodríguez > CMS Rodríguez-Azuero > Bogota, Colombia > Lawyer Profile
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero Offices
CALLE 75 NO. 3-53
- Go to...
Mr Daniel Rodríguez
Daniel is Partner of the Firm and co-leads the areas of Banking & Finance, Insolvency, Restructuring & Liquidation, Compliance and Corporate Criminal Law and leads the Public Procurement area.
Daniel is Partner of the Firm and co-leads the areas of Banking & Finance, Insolvency, Restructuring & Liquidation, Compliance and Corporate Criminal Law and leads the Public Procurement area. His experience includes advising various sectors, including Energy & Climate Change and Infrastructure & Projects. Daniel is admitted to practice in Colombia and in the States of New York and California in the United States.
With nearly 20 years of experience, Daniel has represented sponsors, banks, and other lenders, as well as infrastructure and construction companies, EPC contractors, investors, guarantee issuers, and borrowers in complex infrastructure transactions and project finance matters. He has extensive experience in connection with the social, environmental and land acquisition complexities related to project finance deals and infrastructure projects.
Furthermore, he has also been involved in some of the country´s local and cross-border most delicate white-collar related controversies and investigations.Daniel has also advised national and international clients, debtors and creditors in complex processes of local and cross-border insolvency.
English and Spanish
- Member of the New York Bar Association.
- Member of the California Bar Association.
- Member of the American Bar Association.
- Member of the Colombia Bar Association.
- Chair of the Commission on Corporate Responsibility and Anti-corruption of the International Chamber of Commerce -ICC-.
- Member of the Colombian Chapter Commission on Commercial Practices of the International Chamber of Commerce -ICC-.
- Member of the Colombian Chapter Commission on Banking Practices of the International Chamber of Commerce -ICC-.
- Member of the “A” list of arbitrators of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá.
- Former President of the Security and Risk Management Committee of the Colombian American Chamber of Commerce -AMCHAM-.
- Member of the Commission summoned by the Colombian Government to Implement and Draft Regulation on Secured Transactions new law 1676 of 2013
- Member of the Panel of Experts summoned by the Colombian Presidency to inform the Organization of American States commission about the Implementation of the Inter-American Convention against Corruption (MESICIC).
- 2007 – LL.M., Master in Corporate and Business Law (Dean’s Merit Grant), University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 2003 – Specialist on Commercial Law, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2001 – Lawyer, Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Bogotá, Colombia
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero has had notable participation both in regulatory matters and on the transactional side. The firm participated in the recent creation of the Fund for Non-Conventional Energy and Efficient Energy Management (FENOGE), the first public fund created exclusively to finance non-conventional energy sources. Other notable matters include acting as lead counsel to the Colombian Government on a comparative review of the contractual model for the allocation of offshore blocks. Practice head Daniel Rodríguez, who is experienced in project structuring and development as well as contractual and regulatory issues, leads the four-strong team.
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero undertakes domestic arbitration in a wide range of sectors. Founding partner -and co-leader of the practice- Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero bring his enormous expertise in financial regulation to bear, frequently acting as an arbitrator in finance sector cases. Fellow co-head Daniel Rodríguez regularly acts as both party counsel and arbitrator, primarily in connection with construction and infrastructure projects; while Lorenzo Villegas Carrasquilla, who leads the technology, media and communications practice, is experienced in international investment arbitration related to his specialisation.
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero‘s public procurement department offers comprehensive advice on infrastructure projects and public procurement at all developmental stages to private and state parties, as well as undertaking litigation and arbitration. With a broad service offering, the firm’s advice also extends to financial, environmental, real estate, antitrust, corporate and tax matters related to public procurement procedures and projects. Heading the four-strong group – and also co-leading the compliance and antitrust practice – Daniel Rodríguez combines his knowledge of infrastructure and public law with 20 years’ experience in financial law and anticorruption regulations. Senior associate María Lucía Amador and associate Paula Andrea Gutiérrez, who handle a combination of finance, project finance, administrative law, public contracting and compliance, complete the group.
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero‘s multidisciplinary practice handles environmental, urban, public law, anticorruption, corporate and tax matters related to the development of infrastructure projects, as well as issues arising in the day-to day performance of operational contracts. Experienced in public procurement, the group is particularly skilled at project and corporate finance, advising potential investors on projects’ precontractual stages. Heading the five-strong team, Daniel Rodríguez – who also leads the firm’s competition and public law areas – is experienced acting as arbitrator in national arbitration controversies related to infrastructure. Senior associate María Lucía Amador is a key team member and also participates in the banking and finance and compliance practice areas.
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero demonstrates weight across financing operations and project finance, but it is best known for its firepower in regulatory issues. Renowned founding partner Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero focuses on regulation in relation to securities and capital markets, insurance, and fiduciary law and trusts products, as well as being a reputed litigator. Fellow co-head Daniel Rodríguez leads the structured, project and corporate finance areas and co-leads the restructuring and insolvency practice. Rodríguez also heads the risk management and anti-money laundering practice in the firm’s compliance and criminal corporate law practices. Senior associate María Lucía Amador brings relevant support to the six-strong practice.
Best known for its niche expertise in financial fraud matters and white-collar crime, CMS Rodríguez-Azuero is a go-to firm in financial regulation and administrative litigation. The 15-strong group features five expert partners who lead the practice; founding partner Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero and Carolina Arenas, who both have extensive experience in corporate and procedural law, have recently been handling groups defrauded by Ponzi schemes – with the firm currently acting in four such cases. Also heading the public procurement area, Daniel Rodríguez acts in disputes related to commercial and financial law, including insolvency judicial procedures. Jacques Simhon leads the corporate criminal law practice and co-heads the competition area. Since publication Arenas has left the firm, effective as of February 2021.
- Litigation - Colombia > Dispute resolution
- Banking and finance - Colombia
- Public law - Colombia
- Arbitration - Colombia > Dispute resolution
- Energy and natural resources - Colombia
- Projects - Colombia