Mr Jacques Simhon > CMS Rodríguez-Azuero > Bogota, Colombia > Lawyer Profile
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero Offices
CALLE 75 NO. 3-53
- Go to...
Mr Jacques Simhon
Jacques is Partner and leads the Corporate Criminal Law practice and co-leads the Real Estate & Construction, Dispute Resolution, and Compliance practices for the Firm.
Jacques is Partner and leads the Corporate Criminal Law practice and co-leads the Real Estate & Construction, Dispute Resolution, and Compliance practices for the Firm. Jacques graduated as an attorney from Universidad de los Andes, and holds a Masters degree from the Universidad de Barcelona – Universidad Pompeu Fabra in Criminal Law and Criminal Sciences, as well as a Masters degree in Criminology and Security from the Universidad de Barcelona. He holds a Specialty degree in Financial Law from Universidad de los Andes. Furthermore, he is the Vice President of the Colombian Commission on Corporate Responsibility and Anticorruption of the International Chamber of Commerce. During his career, he has advised national and multinational clients in matters related to corporate and personal criminal liability, both as a litigating attorney and as an advisor for criminal risk management. He has also developed his career as a lawyer in disciplinary matters. Furthermore, he has participated as a speaker in multiple presentations and has been a professor in undergraduate and postgraduate classes at different universities in the country.
He has been directly involved in the Real Estate development sector both as Head of Legal and General Manager of development companies, leading the development from conception to completion of several high-profile real estate projects in Colombia.
Spanish and English
- Cámara de Comercio Internacional (Capítulo Colombia), Vice President of the Anti-corruption, Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Committee
- Member of the board of Directors in the Calle del Sargento Mayor Investment Trust, owner of the Bastion Luxury hotel and the El Gobernador Restaurant in Cartagena, Colombia
- Professor of Criminal Procedure at the universities of Los Andes, Jorge Tadeo Lozano and Sergio Arboleda, as well as lecturer in other universities in Colombia and Spain.
- 2014 – Specialization in Financial Legislation, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2012 – Master in Criminology and Security, Universidad de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
- 2011 – Master in Criminal Law and Criminal Sciences, IL3: Universidad de Barcelona – Universidad Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
- 2010 Diploma Degree in Advanced Criminal Investigation and Analysis, Universidad Sergio Arboleda, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2010 – Lawyer, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero acts primarily for property development companies operating in the development, retail and leisure spheres. Co-led by managing partner Juan Camilo Rodríguez and Jacques Simhon, the six-strong practice focuses on the structuring of complex private development projects through fiduciary vehicles, and also handles the full range of purchase and sale transactions and commercial leases. Associate director Andrea Zuñiga and associate Daniel Duque, members of both the corporate/M&A and real estate and construction practices of the firm, are also key team members. Since publication the team has been strengthened further with the hire of the highly experienced Carolina Lozano, formerly a vice president at Fidicuiaría Bogtotá, as counsel.
Best known for its niche expertise in financial fraud matters and white-collar crime, CMS Rodríguez-Azuero is a go-to firm in financial regulation and administrative litigation. The 15-strong group features five expert partners who lead the practice; founding partner Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero and Carolina Arenas, who both have extensive experience in corporate and procedural law, have recently been handling groups defrauded by Ponzi schemes – with the firm currently acting in four such cases. Also heading the public procurement area, Daniel Rodríguez acts in disputes related to commercial and financial law, including insolvency judicial procedures. Jacques Simhon leads the corporate criminal law practice and co-heads the competition area. Since publication Arenas has left the firm, effective as of February 2021.