Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero > CMS Rodríguez-Azuero > Bogota, Colombia > Lawyer Profile
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero Offices
CALLE 75 NO. 3-53
- Go to...
Sergio is Founding Partner and head of the Banking & Finance practice and co-leader of the Dispute Resolution area for the Firm.
Sergio is Founding Partner and head of the Banking & Finance practice and co-leader of the Dispute Resolution area for the Firm. In the Banking & Finance practice he focuses on banking regulation and contracts, securities and capital markets, insurance, and ﬁduciary law and trusts products. In the Dispute Resolution practice, he works in the areas of litigation and arbitration and alternative dispute resolution.
He is Honorary and Emeritus Professor of Commercial Law and Director of the Postgraduate Program in Finance Law at the Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario. He is an arbitrator of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá and was a member of its Court of Arbitration. He is a member of the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, a member of the Group of Experts of the Ibero-American Institute for Law and Finance and is also a member of the Colombian Academy of Jurisprudence. Thus, he is “Chevalier (Knight) of the Legion of Honour” of the French Government, former President of the Colombian Trust Association and former Director of the Colombian Banking Association.
In addition, Sergio is the author of the books “The responsibility of the trustee” (Dike, 1977), “Banking Contracts – Its signiﬁcance in Latin America” (Legis, 7th Ed. 2021) and “Trust Agreements – Its signiﬁcance in Latin America” (Legis, 2nd Ed. 2017) and is a frequent speaker at national and international conferences.
Spanish, French and English
- Arbitrator of the Bogotá Chamber of Commerce
- He was Member of the Board of Directors of the International Academy of Succesal and Trust Law –TIAETL-
- Member of the Reform Commission of the Financial Sector created by the Government in 1982
- He was President of the Rosarista Club
- He was Coordinator of the Study Committee of the “Financial Sector” in the campaign of President Gaviria
- He was President of the Colombo-French Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- He was President of the “Metropolitan Club”
- He was Judge in numerous Arbitration Courts
- He was Member of the G-3 Convention (Colombia, Mexico and Venezuela)
- He was President of the European Circle of Bogotá
- Corresponding Member of the Colombian Academy of Jurisprudence and Member of its Legal Analysis
- He has been Counselor for the Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario during two periods
- He was Co-judge of the Constitutional Court
- He was Advisor of the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit in the current Financial Reform
- Member of the Colegio de Abogados Comercialistas
- Member of the Colombian Association of Insurance Law –ACOLDESE-
- Member of the Colegio de Abogados Rosaristas
- Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, 1966, Lawyer, Bogotá, Colombia
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero‘s banking clients highlight the team’s ‘impeccable professionalism and specialisation in financial matters‘. Active across a wide spectrum of banking and finance law, the group is particularly recognised for its strength in regulation, including new products and fintech structures. Firm founder Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero has an illustrious record in the regulatory field and advised the potential shareholders of Colombian fintech Bold Compañía de Financiamiento on its ongoing establishment. Daniel Rodríguez, who co-heads the group alongside Rodríguez Azuero, provides ‘extraordinary client service‘. Senior associate María Lucía Amador is also noted for her ‘efficient responses‘.
Satisfied clients of CMS Rodríguez-Azuero‘s litigation team assert it ‘is definitely a winner!’ The department is widely lauded for its thriving white-collar crime practice, but it also shines in commercial and civil litigation, administrative law issues and judicial bankruptcy proceedings. A strong performer in both domestic and cross-border cases, the firm enjoys close relationships with a diverse range of Colombian and multinational clients, with notable expertise in the financial services, telecoms and energy sectors. Founding partner Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero‘s robust regulatory experience in the banking and finance sphere equips him to advise on complex financial disputes; he is notably representing Fiduprevisora, as Trustee and administrator of the Fondo Nacional de Garantías, in a $12m claim initiated by Isagen in relation to the credits made when it was a public entity. Other senior names include Daniel Rodríguez, who is a prominent name for insolvency issues; Jacques Simhon, who spearheads the the corporate criminal law team; and TMT and competition specialist Lorenzo Villegas Carrasquilla. Additionally, the firm’s merger with boutique firm Sanabria & Andrade in July 2021 saw the arrival of Felipe Andrade, who is particularly experienced in IP, infrastructure and state liability disputes, and Henry Sanabria, who is an expert in civil procedural law.
CMS has a wide-ranging banking and finance practice in Latin America, given additional geographic coverage by its multiple offices in the region (Brazil, Chile, Peru, Colombia and Mexico). From acquisition financings to the development of fintech markets in key jurisdictions, the Latin America team benefits from the global firm’s standing and expertise in key segments, along with strong connections to top law firms in New York and elsewhere in North America. Its impressive client base includes private equity houses, corporates, government entities, banks and DFIs. Key partners include Fernando De Cárcer and Jorge Allende Destuet in Santiago, Daniel Rodríguez and Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero in Bogota, and Miguel Viale and Diego Peschiera in Lima.
- Leading individuals - Colombia > Banking and finance
- Leading individuals - Colombia > Dispute resolution > Litigation
- Litigation - Colombia > Dispute resolution
- Banking and finance - Colombia