Mr Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero > CMS Rodríguez-Azuero > Bogota, Colombia > Lawyer Profile
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero Offices
CALLE 75 NO. 3-53
- Go to...
Mr Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero
Sergio is Founding Partner and head of the Banking & Finance practice and co-leader of the Dispute Resolution area for the Firm.
Sergio is Founding Partner and head of the Banking & Finance practice and co-leader of the Dispute Resolution area for the Firm. In the Banking & Finance practice he focuses on the regulation and bank contracts, securities and capital markets, insurance, and fiduciary law and trusts products. In the Dispute Resolution practice, he works in the litigation and arbitration and alternative dispute resolution focus areas.
He is Honorary and Emeritus Professor of Commercial Law and Director of the Finance Law Post Graduate Program at the Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario. He is an arbitrator of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá and was member of its Court of Arbitration. He is Member of the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, Member of the Group of Experts of the Ibero-American Institute for Law and Finance and he is also a Number Member of the Colombian Jurisprudence Academy. Thus, he is “Chevalier of the Legion of Honor” of the French Government, former President of the Colombian Trust Association and former Director of the Colombia´s Banking Association.
Furthermore, Sergio is the author of the books “The responsibility of the trustee” (Dike, 1977), “Banking Contracts – Its significance in Latin America” (Legis, 6th Ed. 2009) and “Trust Agreements – Its significance in Latin America” (Legis, 1st Ed. 2017) and he is frequently speaker in national and international conferences.
Spanish, French and English
- Arbitrator of the Bogotá Chamber of Commerce
- He was Member of the Board of Directors of the International Academy of Succesal and Trust Law –TIAETL-
- Member of the Reform Commission of the Financial Sector created by the Government in 1982
- He was President of the Rosarista Club
- He was Coordinator of the Study Committee of the “Financial Sector” in the campaign of President Gaviria
- He was President of the Colombo-French Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- He was President of the “Metropolitan Club”
- He was Judge in numerous Arbitration Courts
- He was Member of the G-3 Convention (Colombia, Mexico and Venezuela)
- He was President of the European Circle of Bogotá
- Corresponding Member of the Colombian Academy of Jurisprudence and Member of its Legal Analysis
- He has been Counselor for the Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario during two periods
- He was Co-judge of the Constitutional Court
- He was Advisor of the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit in the current Financial Reform
- Member of the Colegio de Abogados Comercialistas
- Member of the Colombian Association of Insurance Law –ACOLDESE-
- Member of the Colegio de Abogados Rosaristas
- Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, 1966, Lawyer, Bogotá, Colombia
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero demonstrates weight across financing operations and project finance, but it is best known for its firepower in regulatory issues. Renowned founding partner Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero focuses on regulation in relation to securities and capital markets, insurance, and fiduciary law and trusts products, as well as being a reputed litigator. Fellow co-head Daniel Rodríguez leads the structured, project and corporate finance areas and co-leads the restructuring and insolvency practice. Rodríguez also heads the risk management and anti-money laundering practice in the firm’s compliance and criminal corporate law practices. Senior associate María Lucía Amador brings relevant support to the six-strong practice.
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero undertakes domestic arbitration in a wide range of sectors. Founding partner -and co-leader of the practice- Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero bring his enormous expertise in financial regulation to bear, frequently acting as an arbitrator in finance sector cases. Fellow co-head Daniel Rodríguez regularly acts as both party counsel and arbitrator, primarily in connection with construction and infrastructure projects; while Lorenzo Villegas Carrasquilla, who leads the technology, media and communications practice, is experienced in international investment arbitration related to his specialisation.
Best known for its niche expertise in financial fraud matters and white-collar crime, CMS Rodríguez-Azuero is a go-to firm in financial regulation and administrative litigation. The 15-strong group features five expert partners who lead the practice; founding partner Sergio Rodríguez-Azuero and Carolina Arenas, who both have extensive experience in corporate and procedural law, have recently been handling groups defrauded by Ponzi schemes – with the firm currently acting in four such cases. Also heading the public procurement area, Daniel Rodríguez acts in disputes related to commercial and financial law, including insolvency judicial procedures. Jacques Simhon leads the corporate criminal law practice and co-heads the competition area. Since publication Arenas has left the firm, effective as of February 2021.
- Leading individuals - Colombia > Dispute resolution > Litigation
- Leading individuals - Colombia > Banking and finance
- Litigation - Colombia > Dispute resolution
- Banking and finance - Colombia
- Arbitration - Colombia > Dispute resolution