Ms Diara Holmes > Loeb & Loeb LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
901 NEW YORK AVENUE NW
SUITE 300 EAST
WASHINGTON, DC 20001
- Go to...
Ms Diara Holmes
Nonprofits & Tax-Exempt Organizations
Partner and Co-Chair, Nonprofits & Tax Exempt Organizations; Co-Chair, Loeb & Loeb’s Attorneys of Color and Ethnic Diversity Affinity Group
Diara M. Holmes serves as co-chair of the firm’s Tax-Exempt Organizations Practice. She counsels tax-exempt organizations, including large public charities; colleges, universities and other higher education organizations; foreign charities and their U.S. affiliates; associations; government instrumentalities; social welfare organizations; and religious organizations on a broad range of tax compliance and governance issues.
She advises non-profit and for-profit organizations on structuring a variety of transactions—including joint ventures, corporate sponsorships, merchandising, cause-related marketing, and other revenue generating strategies. In addition, she works with high-net-worth individuals and families to establish family foundations and donor-advised funds.
Diara has represented numerous organizations before the IRS—navigating complex audits involving an array of issues (e.g., executive compensation, unrelated business tax, and political campaign intervention); seeking private letter rulings regarding proposed transactions, requesting determination letters regarding public charity classification, applying for exempt status, and seeking reinstatement of exempt status following auto-revocation.
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude
Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government, M.P.P.
University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Loeb & Loeb LLP‘s market leading non-profits practice is considered by many, the ‘go-to’ for all tax-exempt organisations work, and is able to leverage its wider firm capabilities across trusts and estates, litigation, and financings, to provide the full-service. Housed in New York, the group is skilled in the full range of complex regulatory matters and federal audits including IRS audits and internal investigations. In Los Angeles, practice head Leah Bishop is the name for tax planning matters, with strength across the real estate, manufacturing, and entertainment industries. She is supported by Stuart Tobisman who handles estate planning for individuals. On the east coast, co-heads Jason Lilien in New York and Diara Holmes in Washington DC advise large public charities and private foundations on corporate governance and transactional mandates. The wider team also includes Marcus Owens who specialises in complex audits, having previously being based at the Internal Revenue Service.
- Next Generation Partners - United States > Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations) - United States > Tax
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactions
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense