Mr Marcus Owens > Loeb & Loeb LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
901 NEW YORK AVENUE NW
SUITE 300 EAST
WASHINGTON, DC 20001
- Go to...
Mr Marcus Owens
Trusts & Estates
Marcus Owens represents a broad range of nonprofit organizations, including private foundations, charities, lobbying/political organizations and trade associations. The context has ranged from tax planning, the process of formation and application for exemption, through IRS and state attorney general investigations, including complex audits by IRS Exempt Organizations Financial Investigative Units. Marcus’ focus includes executive compensation, excess benefit and self-dealing excise taxes, as well as the impact of digital and social media on tax exempt organizations. His experience also extends to social impact investing and program-related investments. Particular projects have involved the emerging rules for foreign grant making and organizations interested in public policy but concerned with legislative and political activities. Marcus is also a frequent lecturer, writer and commenter on the complex laws affecting exempt organizations.
Prior to entering private practice, Marcus was employed by the Exempt Organizations Division of the Internal Revenue Service and served as the division’s director for ten years. In that capacity, he was the chief decision maker regarding design and implementation of federal tax rulings and enforcement programs for exempt organizations, political organizations and tax-exempt bonds. He also served as the IRS’s primary liaison with other federal agencies, Congress, and state regulators on exempt organizations issues.
Duke University School of Law, J.D.
Florida State University, B.A.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Loeb & Loeb LLP’s ‘exceptional‘ nonprofits team assists its impressive client roster with a full range of issues, leveraging the firm’s litigation, real estate, corporate, and top-ranked advertising and marketing practices to provide comprehensive legal support to a variety of tax-exempt organizations. The group benefits from the experience of former regulators Jason Lilien in New York and Marcus Owens in Washington DC, both of whom have broad experience advising on governance matters, internal investigations and regulatory enforcement. Jointly leading the team alongside Lilien is Los Angeles-based tax planning specialist Leah Bishop and Diara Holmes in Washington DC, who acts both for nonprofit organizations in tax compliance and governance issues, and also for celebrities, high-net-worth individuals and families in establishing family foundations and donor-advised funds.
- Hall of Fame - United States > Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Leading lawyers - United States > Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations) - United States > Tax
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense