Mr Thomas Jirgal > Loeb & Loeb LLP > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
321 NORTH CLARK STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60654
- Go to...
Mr Thomas Jirgal
Advanced Media and Technology
Thomas Jirgal is a commercial litigator and trial attorney whose national practice focuses on intellectual property, advertising and general litigation matters. He co-chairs Loeb & Loeb’s Advertising Disputes practice group.
Mr. Jirgal has nearly twenty years of experience representing clients in the entertainment, communications, food, and financial services industries in cases involving copyright, trademark, trade secret, corporate espionage, false advertising, contract, fiduciary duty, defamation, invasion of privacy, employment, civil forfeiture, antitrust and unfair competition claims. He regularly represents clients in state and federal court, in private arbitration and before the Better Business Bureau’s National Advertising Division. He also counsels clients on advertising matters, including the substantiation needed for advertising claims, and the management, licensing and protection of intellectual property rights.
The advertising disputes in which Mr. Jirgal is involved often turn on cutting-edge technological issues, and the effective presentation of complex testing and statistical analysis. As an essential part of his practice, Mr. Jirgal also regularly oversees the design and critique of consumer perception surveys that can be dispositive in an advertising dispute involving implied claims.
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 1998, magna cum laude
Member, University of Illinois Law Review
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., 1992
Loeb & Loeb LLP‘s competitor versus competitor-focused practice spans its New York and Chicago offices, which house co-chairs David Mallen and Thomas Jirgal respectively. Mallen, a former deputy director of the National Advertising Division, is particularly notable for his work in relation to green or environmental claims, product testing, consumer surveys, and social media or influencer issues, as well as receiving instructions in the field of FTC and state regulatory investigations. Jirgal, meanwhile, focuses more on technological claims involving testing and statistical analysis, along with consumer perception issues in relation to implied claims. More broadly, the team handles federal Lanham act litigation, NAD representation and related appeals, along with its work in advertising-related IP, class actions, and investigations. Brian Heidelberger chairs the firm’s advertising, marketing and promotions group.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense