Mr Robert Newman > Loeb & Loeb LLP > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
321 NORTH CLARK STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60654
- Go to...
Mr Robert Newman
Advanced Media and Technology
Partner and Co-Chair, Privacy, Security & Data Innovations
Robert Newman counsels clients in connection with privacy, data security, marketing, e-commerce and other intellectual property matters. He advises major brands, advertising agencies and digital media companies on all aspects of their consumer marketing communications, commercialization and enforcement of intellectual property portfolios, and litigation risk avoidance relating to IP, marketing and emerging technologies.
A trusted business advisor, Robert works closely with clients to protect their creative advantages in the following areas:
- Data Privacy and Security: Regulatory and compliance counseling, including with respect to behavioral advertising, “big data,” mobile marketing, digital media buy agreements, programmatic advertising, and marketing to children. Robert frequently handles responses to high profile data breaches and assists clients in the assessment and development of internal data privacy and security policies and procedures.
- Advertising, Marketing, and Promotions: Advertising clearance for traditional and interactive advertising campaigns, and counseling on consumer protection issues, design and implementation of promotions, and new media matters, including social media, text message marketing, and user-generated content.
- Trademarks and Brand Protection: Trademark selection and clearance, assistance with the development of branding strategies, trademark prosecution, and global trademark portfolios management. Robert also advises on domain name strategies and gTLD matters.
- IP Transactions, Licensing, and E-Commerce: IP matters associated with mergers, acquisitions, outsourcing, transition services, and other significant corporate transactions. In addition Robert counsels clients on software and mobile application development, end-user licenses, application service provider agreements, and software licensing.
- IP Disputes and Litigation: False advertising, copyright, trademark, domain name, defamation, right of publicity, and unfair competition disputes and litigation, as well as UDRP proceedings and matters before the National Advertising Division and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Talent, Music, and Copyright: Music and content licenses, and high-level talent agreements for use in advertising and branded entertainment. Robert also counsels content creators and content providers on the protection and commercialization of their music, literary, and other creative properties.
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D.
University of Illinois, B.A.
United States > Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
Loeb & Loeb LLP has a strong standing in the media space and counts Clear Channel Outdoor and Comcast Cable Communications among its key clients in this space. Jointly led by James Taylor, Ieuan Jolly, Jessica Lee and Robert Newman, the practice group has broad experience of data harvesting matters for autonomous driving interests and banks, the interactions between GDPR and US law, the monetization of data and cybersecurity breaches. Moreover, clients can benefit from its expertise in cross-border transfers, HIPAA compliance and myriad marketing regulations. Fintech and cyber specialist Mercedes Tunstall joined from Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, LLP in February 2020.
- Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection) - United States > Media, technology and telecoms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactions
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense