Mr Robert Newman > Loeb & Loeb LLP > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
321 NORTH CLARK STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60654
- Go to...
Mr Robert Newman
Advanced Media & Technology
Co-Chair, Privacy, Security & Data Innovations
Robert Newman counsels clients in connection with privacy, data security, marketing, e-commerce and other intellectual property matters. He advises major brands, advertising agencies and digital media companies on all aspects of their consumer marketing communications, commercialization and enforcement of intellectual property portfolios, and litigation risk avoidance relating to IP, marketing and emerging technologies.
A trusted business advisor, Robert works closely with clients to protect their creative advantages in the following areas:
- Data Privacy and Security: Regulatory and compliance counseling, including with respect to behavioral advertising, “big data,” mobile marketing, digital media buy agreements, programmatic advertising, and marketing to children. Robert frequently handles responses to high profile data breaches and assists clients in the assessment and development of internal data privacy and security policies and procedures.
- Advertising, Marketing, and Promotions: Advertising clearance for traditional and interactive advertising campaigns, and counseling on consumer protection issues, design and implementation of promotions, and new media matters, including social media, text message marketing, and user-generated content.
- Trademarks and Brand Protection: Trademark selection and clearance, assistance with the development of branding strategies, trademark prosecution, and global trademark portfolios management. Robert also advises on domain name strategies and gTLD matters.
- IP Transactions, Licensing, and E-Commerce: IP matters associated with mergers, acquisitions, outsourcing, transition services, and other significant corporate transactions. In addition Robert counsels clients on software and mobile application development, end-user licenses, application service provider agreements, and software licensing.
- IP Disputes and Litigation: False advertising, copyright, trademark, domain name, defamation, right of publicity, and unfair competition disputes and litigation, as well as UDRP proceedings and matters before the National Advertising Division and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Talent, Music, and Copyright: Music and content licenses, and high-level talent agreements for use in advertising and branded entertainment. Robert also counsels content creators and content providers on the protection and commercialization of their music, literary, and other creative properties.
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D.
University of Illinois, B.A.
Fielding an interdisciplinary team based across the firm’s New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Nashville and Washington DC offices, Loeb & Loeb LLP combines media, technology, data and regulatory expertise in marketing and advertising matters. The team’s impressive client roster includes Toyota, Comcast Cable Communications and Visa. In a recent work highlight the practice assisted the latter with negotiations with the International Olympic Committee to extend its Olympic sponsorship for another 12 years. Noteworthy is also the firm’s advice to Amazon on mobile marketing and text messaging promotional campaigns, including advising on the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA); the matter is led by Brian Nixon, intellectual property expert Melanie Howard (both in LA) and New York-based David Mallen. Chicago-based Seth Rose is advising T-Mobile USA on celebrity talent and endorsement deals and sponsorship arrangements. In addition to acting for prominent brands, the team also assists leading agencies, such as several Publicis Groupe agencies. Kenneth Florin and James Taylor in New York and Nathan Hole in Chicago jointly head the practice which was bolstered by the additions of Chicago-based partners Brian Heidelberger, Monique Bhargava and Robert Newman from Winston & Strawn LLP in May 2018.
Loeb & Loeb LLP‘s media and entertainment practice boasts experience which spans the motion picture, music, theater, reality television and emerging technology sectors. In recent work highlights, the team assisted Alcon Television Group with an agreement with Amazon to pick up the fourth season of The Expanse and advised Annapurna Pictures with the formation of its joint venture with MGM and a $350m senior secured revolving credit facility with JP Morgan Chase Bank. Los Angeles-based Scott Edel, who jointly heads the team alongside Roger Arar in New York, led the advice to Tencent Pictures regarding its agreements with Skydance Media, Paramount Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox in connection with the financing and distribution of The Terminator sequel. Key names to note include Ivy Kagan Biermaem in Los Angeles for employment work; New York-based Marc Chamlin, who counts Oprah Winfrey and actress Glenn Close among his clients; John Frankenheimer and Debra White, who are based in Los Angeles and New York respectively, for music industry transactions; and New York-based partners Carol Kaplan and Stefan Schick for theater work. Following several departures to Paul Hastings LLP, the team benefits from the arrivals of Paul Swanson in Los Angeles from Irell & Manella LLP, and three Chicago-based partners from Winston & Strawn LLP, including advertising experts Brian Heidelberger and Monique Bhargava, and data and privacy lawyer Robert Newman.
Loeb & Loeb LLP’s ‘smart and accommodating‘ practice group handles outsourcing matters in various industry sectors, including the healthcare, education, retail and software sectors. New York-based practice head Kenneth A. Adler and Chicago-based Alison Pollock Schwartz advised Northwell Health on the renegotiation and restructuring of legacy IT outsourcing engagements, while New York-based Akiba Stern and Washington DC-based Neil Lefkowitz assisted Claremont Graduate University with an outsourced program management agreement with Noodle Partners, which aims to provide an online degree program in information security. Similarly, the team advised the education services provider Evidence in Motion on an outsourced program management agreement with Baylor University for a physical therapy education program. Also in 2018, the Chicago office welcomed Brian L. Heidelberger, Robert H. Newman and Monique N. Bhargava, all of whom joined from Winston & Strawn LLP. New York-based associate Benjamin B. Kabak is another name to note.
- Advertising and marketing: transactional - United States > Media, technology and telecoms
- Media and entertainment: transactional - United States > Media, technology and telecoms
- Outsourcing - United States > Media, technology and telecoms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (Fortune 1000 private foundations, and national trade associations and charities)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious