Mr Barry Slotnick > Loeb & Loeb LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
345 PARK AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10154
- Go to...
Mr Barry Slotnick
Chair, Intellectual Property and Entertainment Litigation
Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., With Honors
Queens College, B.A.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Praised by clients for its ‘unmatched expertise in copyright litigation‘, Loeb & Loeb LLP is a key name in the market for representing content creators in the music and entertainment space. New York-based practice head Barry Slotnick, is a key name for high-profile litigation, having most recently represented hip hop duo Ryan Lewis and Macklemore in an infringement claim brought by a New Orleans-based jazz musician who claimed that the client’s hit single ‘Thriftshop’ illegally sampled one of his compositions. Other standout highlights included David Grossman in LA and Jonathan Zavin in New York defending Netflix against copyright infringement allegations made by a photographer concerning the client’s TV series Stranger Things. Also recommended in Los Angeles is Melanie Howard, who focuses on copyright protection and licensing, as well as acquisitions. Clients have also noted that the legal service they have ‘come to expect at the top extends behind the scenes and on the front lines‘. In particular, clients have singled out associate Sarah Schacter on the more junior end of the team.
Loeb & Loeb LLP‘s bicoastal media litigation team represents a wide range of clients on all sides of the media industry, receiving instructions from high-profile talent, particularly in the music industry, along with large publishers, labels, film studios, distributors and networks, and financial companies investing in the media space. Intellectual property litigator Barry Slotnick chairs the practice from New York, while Los Angeles-based David Grossman, deputy chair of the firm’s overall litigation practice, is the face of the media litigation team on the west coast. In addition to the IP litigation practice, which covers copyright infringement, trademark disputes, and idea submission, the firm handles a broad range of commercial disputes for media clients including contract disputes and tort cases, profit participation, and distribution disputes. Recent notable highlights include the representation of event producer Suprefly Presents in a dispute with Woodstock 50 over the cancellation of the event, which Superfly had been contracted to produce.
- Copyright - United States > Intellectual property
- Hall of Fame - United States > Intellectual property > Copyright
- Leading lawyers - United States > Intellectual property > Copyright
- Media and entertainment: litigation - United States > Media, technology and telecoms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense