Ms Carol Kaplan > Loeb & Loeb LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
345 PARK AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10154
- Go to...
Ms Carol Kaplan
Carol Kaplan is an entertainment attorney with a specialty in live theater, as well as a media attorney with experience advising on licensing, acquisition, disposition, financing and exploitation of intellectual property assets within and across multiple platforms.
Carol works with experienced and first-time theater producers in the commercial and non-profit sectors, providing general counsel and deal-specific legal advice relating to developing, producing and exploiting traditional and non-traditional live stage properties. She advises creative producers on acquiring rights; engaging creative, management and key production personnel; creating joint ventures with co-producers; as well as preparing and advising on investment documents and preferred investor terms. Carol also represents commercial theater investors, authors, directors, underlying rights holders and others in connection with creative services and rights agreements. She has excellent relationships in the theater industry and worked in the field prior to becoming a lawyer.
Carol’s practice also includes film, television and new media transactions. She was a production attorney in the business and legal affairs department at Nickelodeon for almost two years, handling rights acquisition and creative services agreements as well as turnkey production agreements for serial and long form television, and she continues to represent clients in broadcast and cable television transactions. She also handles feature film screenplay agreements, life story rights and other underlying rights option/purchase agreements in film and television, and represents independent film, documentary film and television producers.
New York University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif
Universities of Natal and Cape Town, B.A., cum laude
Yale School of Drama, M.F.A.
Loeb & Loeb LLP has a very strong reputation in the broadcasting space, with expertise in M&A, financing and commercial agreements. Los Angeles-based Scott Edel works at the helm and advises on both traditional media as well as OTT services and digital media. In New York, Marc Chamlin is highly focused on the TV industry, where he advises clients on investments, joint ventures and licensing issues. Also in New York is Carol Kaplan, a name to note for broadcast and cable transactions.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactions
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense