Ms Carol Kaplan > Loeb & Loeb LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Loeb & Loeb LLP Offices
345 PARK AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10154
- Go to...
Ms Carol Kaplan
Carol Kaplan is an entertainment attorney with a specialty in live theater, as well as a media attorney with experience advising on licensing, acquisition, disposition, financing and exploitation of intellectual property assets within and across multiple platforms.
Carol works with experienced and first-time theater producers in the commercial and non-profit sectors, providing general counsel and deal-specific legal advice relating to developing, producing and exploiting traditional and non-traditional live stage properties. She advises creative producers on acquiring rights; engaging creative, management and key production personnel; creating joint ventures with co-producers; as well as preparing and advising on investment documents and preferred investor terms. Carol also represents commercial theater investors, authors, directors, underlying rights holders and others in connection with creative services and rights agreements. She has excellent relationships in the theater industry and worked in the field prior to becoming a lawyer.
Carol’s practice also includes film, television and new media transactions. She was a production attorney in the business and legal affairs department at Nickelodeon for almost two years, handling rights acquisition and creative services agreements as well as turnkey production agreements for serial and long form television, and she continues to represent clients in broadcast and cable television transactions. She also handles feature film screenplay agreements, life story rights and other underlying rights option/purchase agreements in film and television, and represents independent film, documentary film and television producers.
New York University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif
Universities of Natal and Cape Town, B.A., cum laude
Yale School of Drama, M.F.A.
Scott Edel in Los Angeles heads the bi-coastal entertainment practice at Loeb & Loeb LLP, which advises on all sides of production, financing, and distribution deals in the film, television, and digital content sectors. The firm also has significant experience in the music industry; LA-based John Frankenheimer leads a team with established expertise acting for labels, talent, and in the live music and events space. On the east coast, key names include television practice chair Marc Chamlin, whose client list includes high-profile networks, talent, and production companies. Stefan Schick and Carol Kaplan, both of whom operate from the New York office, have notable expertise in the live theatre area, advising on licensing adaptations for the stage, financing, and related IP issues. In 2019 Andrew Kramer and entertainment finance specialist Paul Swanson joined the LA office from Global Entertainment Strategies and Irell & Manella LLP respectively, while music specialist Derek Crownover joined the firm’s Nashville office from Dickinson Wright PLLC.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense