Mr Benzion Westreich > Katten > Los Angeles, United States > Lawyer Profile
515 SOUTH FLOWER STREET
LOS ANGELES, CA 90071
- Go to...
Mr Benzion Westreich
Benzion Westreich has helped bring to life some of the most complex real estate developments of recent years, including the construction of two multi-billion-dollar sports arena mixed-use complexes. In a business where events rarely unfold as planned, he anticipates potential problems and makes appropriate adjustments so that clients don’t meet with unwelcome surprises. He counsels clients on all sides of transactions, including lenders and borrowers, developers and equity partners, buyers and sellers and landlords and tenants.
Benny takes on a role for clients that goes well beyond just executing transactions and performing legal review. He keeps his eye open for opportunities, sensing the ones that will fit his clients’ business goals. When high-profile problems arise, he advises clients on crisis management strategies. He views his role as a counselor in addition to being a lawyer. One of Benny’s clients, in Chambers USA, described him as “…what I consider a business lawyer should be; he understands that it is key to find a compromise and not just be right.” Private equity firms, real estate investment trusts (REITs) and individuals are among the investors that regularly turn to Benny for transactions involving all types of commercial and residential properties.
In a complex real estate project, such as the financing and construction of mixed-use facilities, Benny knows how to coordinate interlocking deal pieces involving multiple properties and uses, keeping an eye out for the long-term prospects, including ownership restructurings and bifurcations, refinancing and exit strategies. His work has also included public-private financings, which require careful attention to public relations as well as legal issues.
JD, Columbia Law School, 1978; BS, The City College of The City University of New York, 1974
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is particularly strong on the transactional side, frequently assisting clients with debt and equity financings, stadium and arena construction and financing, concession deals, broadcast agreements and acquisitions and sales of sports franchises. Chicago-based Adam Klein, who regularly advises investors, teams, sponsors and arenas to advise on financing and acquisition transactions, directs the practice. Supporting the team in Los Angeles is Benzion Westreich, a real estate expert, and Daniel Render, whose expertise spans acquisitions and sales, sponsorship deals and naming rights agreements.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense