Mr Greg Dillard > Katten > Houston, United States > Lawyer Profile
1301 MCKINNEY STREET
HOUSTON, TX 77010
- Go to...
Mr Greg Dillard
Gregory Dillard (Greg) advises clients on health and safety (EHS) issues, and focuses on major accident response, including upstream, midstream and downstream process safety management (PSM) incidents and workplace fatalities. Greg provides on-site response support after such incidents and litigates subsequent regulatory enforcement cases, including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) and state agencies. Greg also routinely supervises internal company investigations and advises and trains companies on all aspects of safety and health compliance law to help prevent incidents.
Greg has a wide range of litigation experience, having represented clients before administrative law judges in both state and federal courts. He tried a 20-day OSHA trial, resulting in a dismissal of all 42 willful citations and a decrease in penalties from $2.9 million to $35,000. Greg’s experience with workplace and process safety allows him to meet the critical needs of clients from the onset of an incident through trial.
Greg is co-chair of Katten’s Process Safety Advocacy group, which focuses exclusively on effective advocacy for oil, gas and chemical companies related to the proposed revisions to the PSM rules under the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Act. As co-chair, Greg works to influence OSHA as it continues its efforts to reform the current PSM standard, including development of strategy, meeting with regulators and drafting comments to OSHA.
JD, The University of Texas at Austin School of Law; BS, Georgetown University – School of Foreign Service
United States > Industry focus > Environment: litigation
Katten acts on environmental crimes, workplace safety and major accident response cases; it covers regulatory litigation and criminal and civil enforcement in the energy, chemical, refining, manufacturing, construction and transportation sectors, among others. Washington DC-based Steve Solow is acting as court-appointed monitor for Princess Cruise Lines in the implementation of an environmental compliance plan as part of its criminal penalty for intentional vessel pollution. Other key contacts include Greg Dillard in Houston, Lily Chinn in San Francisco, and Nadira Clarke in Washington DC. Mark Farley left the team to found his own firm.
United States > Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
Katten specializes in environmental crimes, workplace safety and major accident response, acting for an impressive roster of clients that includes Chevron and ExxonMobil. It has been advising DuPont on matters concerning a catastrophic toxic environmental release that resulted in multiple fatalities in La Porte, Texas, in 2014, including, most recently, resolving all administrative citations issued by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and all alleged civil CAA violations with the EPA and DOJ with no admission of wrongdoing. Key contacts in Houston include Greg Dillard and the ‘wonderful’ Scott Elliott. In Washington DC, Steve Solow, Nadira Clarke and Anne Carpenter are key practitioners. Also recommended are Austin-based Danny Worrell, San Francisco-based Matthew Baker and Lily Chinn, and Tom Van Wyngarden in Los Angeles. Mark Farley founded his own firm in 2019.
- Environment: litigation - United States > Industry focus
- Environment: regulatory - United States > Industry focus
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Private equity buyouts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation