Ms Kristin Achterhof > Katten > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Ms Kristin Achterhof
Kristin Achterhof is the national co-chair of Katten’s Intellectual Property Litigation practice, as well as the national co-chair of the firm’s Advertising, Marketing and Promotions practice. She also serves as Katten’s national hiring partner. Kristin has represented some of the world’s most recognizable companies and is often the first phone call that leading technology, manufacturing, consumer goods, entertainment and fashion-industry clients make on difficult trademark, copyright and other intellectual property issues. As a first-chair trial attorney, she handles intellectual property and all manner of complex business disputes in court. As an adviser on transactions, she maximizes her clients’ rights and revenues. Both in and out of the courtroom, she is an advocate and adviser, with an eye to helping clients optimize and protect their tangible and intangible property rights and assets.
Household names in the technology and entertainment sectors and famous brands in all areas of consumer products and services rely on Kristin as an advocate and trusted advisor on IP, general advertising and competition issues. She has counseled multinational clients in multiple high-profile disputes involving novel ecommerce issues. She also gives strategic advice to clients on exploiting their copyrights and trademarks over social media, and on how to best protect their IP rights in software and emerging technologies.
Kristin acts as a first-chair trial attorney in disputes in federal court, state court and before the US Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. In addition to her extensive litigation experience, she represents clients in IP-related transactions that range from licenses to distribution agreements to vendor contracts.
For many clients, Kristin is something more than an experienced first chair litigator. For them, she is a strategic counselor and partner, who takes the time to truly understand their business and what matters most when their brands are under attack, their IP is being exploited or when they simply need an effective advocate in their corner. Clients also benefit from her extensive knowledge and experience as a counselor and advocate in disputes involving their advertising, marketing and promotions practices. All of her abilities combine to make her a trusted advisor, a passionate and practical advocate, and, for her clients, the first phone call.
Kristin is a frequent speaker and panel member for business, legal practice and educational groups across the country, and she is frequently quoted in national and international publications. She also is a skilled mediator and a member of the Panel of Neutrals for the Alternative Dispute Resolution Program, sponsored jointly by the International Trademark Association and the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution.
JD, Northwestern University School of Law, with honors, 1991 BA, Macalester College, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1988
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation and air travel: finance
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Healthcare > Service providers
- Industry focus > Sport
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation