Mr Andrew Jagoda > Katten > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
575 MADISON AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022-2585
- Go to...
Mr Andrew Jagoda
Andrew L. Jagoda serves as co-head of the New York Real Estate practice. He focuses on real estate financing, development and construction, and the workout, restructuring and sale of distressed assets, net lease transactions, joint ventures and leasing (both space and ground leases).
Andrew represents a wide array of clients, including insurance companies, banks, developers, foreign and US investment funds, family-office investors, landlords, tenants and nonprofit organizations. He advises on the financing, acquisition, construction, leasing and sale of a wide range of properties, including office buildings, hotels, retail centers and multifamily properties, both market-rate and affordable, on an individual property basis as well as on a portfolio basis. Andrew has extensive experience representing lenders in a broad spectrum of loan transactions, including construction loans, ground lease financing, multiproperty financing, mezzanine financing and the financing of ground lease payments. He also has considerable experience representing lenders with the workout, restructuring and foreclosure of real estate and construction mortgage loans for office buildings, hotels, condominium projects, multifamily buildings and industrial properties. Andrew additionally represents borrowers in negotiating workouts with banks and commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) servicers.
Before joining Katten, Andrew served as counsel at the Resolution Trust Corporation (RTC), a federal agency charged with the disposition of real estate assets from failed financial institutions. While at the RTC, he advised on the disposition of approximately $4 billion of assets. In addition, he represented China Huarong Asset Management Corporation, an agency of the government of the People’s Republic of China, in a series of bulk sales of more than $1 billion of non-performing loans and foreclosed properties, structured as joint ventures between Huarong and investors. These were among the first such transactions conducted in China. Andrew also has represented various private foundations in the recovery of art stolen during the Holocaust.
United States > Real estate > Real estate
Katten has particular experience in advising providers of real estate capital, such as lenders, borrowers and investors, on financing transactions including mortgage and mezzanine loan transactions, construction, acquisition and pickup refinancing. Other areas of expertise include affordable housing transactions, CMBS and cross-border transactions. Washington DC-based affordable housing expert Kenneth Lore represented a Washington DC-area developer on the creation of a $260m immigration and customs enforcement headquarters in Prince George’s County, Maryland. New York-based Martin Siroka, who is ‘calm, thoughtful and knowledgeable’ advised Starrett City Associates on its $905m sale of Spring Creek Towers to Brooksville Company and Rockpoint Group. New York real estate co-head Andrew Jagoda acted as lead counsel to AIG on around 30 transactions in the past year, while Timothy Little, David Dlugie, Daniel Huffenus and Bruce Kosub are also key practitioners in New York, Chicago, Charlotte and Dallas respectively. The firm continues to represent Callahan Capital Properties, Sacramento Kings, The Blackstone Group, Bank of America, The Barack Obama Foundation and The Carlyle Group.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Private equity buyouts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation