Mr Stewart Herman > Katten > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
575 MADISON AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022-2585
- Go to...
Mr Stewart Herman
Stewart Herman represents clients in commercial- and business-aircraft transactions. With more than 30 years’ experience structuring, negotiating, and documenting transactions for aircraft and other asset classes, Stewart has been recognized as a leading lawyer for the aviation industry in The Legal 500 US. He helps clients close their transactions on time, avoid risks and position their companies for further growth.
Stewart advises on leasing, sale and financing transactions, including leveraged leases, domestic and cross-border operating leases, portfolio acquisitions and securitizations, predelivery payment financings, maintenance agreements, and bankruptcy and workout transactions. His clients include leasing companies, commercial and investment banks, aircraft and engine manufacturers, airlines, monoline insurance companies and funds. He frequently speaks at aviation conferences and writes for trade and legal publications. He previously served as a law clerk to the Honorable Murray C. Goldman, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
JD, Temple University Beasley School of Law; MBA, Drexel University; BA, University of Pennsylvania
Katten fields specialists in the financing of new and used aircraft, engines and related equipment. Its expertise also covers pooled aircraft securitizations, along with compliance work. Aviation transactions expert Timothy Lynes chairs the group, which includes commercial and business aircraft deal specialist Stewart Herman. Notable growth includes the July 2021 hire of Timothy Kirby, whose practice covers aviation finance, as partner from Milbank, while Brett Seifarth is a key associate. Former partner Thomas Healey recently left the firm. All advisers named are based in the firm’s Washington DC office unless stated otherwise.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense