Mr Eric Kuwana > Katten > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
2900 K STREET NW
NORTH TOWER, SUITE 200
WASHINGTON, DC 20007-5118
- Go to...
Mr Eric Kuwana
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Eric A. Kuwana is co-head of Katten’s Securities Litigation and Enforcement practice. He is a first-chair trial lawyer sought by clients to defend their interests and try their toughest, high-exposure cases to juries and judges across the country, including bet-the-company disputes, high-profile and contentious corporate matters, and lawsuits in the riskiest venues. As a result of his winning record, he has been selected by the National Law Journal as one of the nation’s top litigators in “A Special Report: Winning,” published in 2015.
Throughout the past few decades, Eric has defended cases across the country with a total exposure of more than $1 billion for his clients, and has tried to judgment and won individual cases with exposure in the hundreds of millions of dollars. In 2015, he and his trial team turned the defense of a publicly traded client into a judgment against the plaintiff valued at more than $200 million after a full federal court trial.
Eric has served as trial and lead counsel for clients in commercial, real estate, financing and financial services disputes; shareholder, securities, breach of fiduciary duty and corporate governance disputes; product liability, product recall, product investigations, product regulatory matters, consumer product litigation, foodborne outbreaks and toxic torts, and premises and catastrophic torts; trade secret and business torts; and sensitive political, constitutional and government regulatory matters. He has tried to verdict product liability and catastrophic tort cases across the country, and has defended a major big-box retailer, a food manufacturer and supply chain as defendants in class actions and hundreds of individual filed cases in one of the largest foodborne outbreaks in recent history.
Eric also regularly represents companies, their officers and directors, and board committees in complex shareholder, securities, derivative, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement matters, and internal investigations. With a degree in economics, Eric takes pride in being able to give legal advice in the context of the markets and business demands of his clients, and understands that a favorable settlement may be the best result for the client.
Eric thrives on spending time with his clients in order to understand their business, communicate frequently, delve deep into scientific and economic subjects, change the dynamics of lengthy and expensive litigation, identify settlement opportunities, and secure their trust. He brings his diverse experience to bear to solve his clients biggest problems.
Eric formerly served on the firm’s Board of Directors for six years and also as the deputy chair of the firm’s National Litigation department. He currently is a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee. Prior to joining the firm in 2006, Eric was the deputy chair of the Litigation department and chair of the Securities Litigation practice at a large Washington, DC-based law firm.
Prior to entering private practice, Eric served in the White House, Office of Counsel to the President, under President George H. W. Bush. He has regularly advised political parties, individuals and companies in government litigation, regulatory challenges, congressional investigations, enforcement actions, government subpoenas and politically charged disputes. He also served as an attorney in the US Department of Transportation.
Eric served as deputy general counsel to the Presidential Inaugural Committee for the 2001 Inauguration of President George W. Bush and worked on constitutional and other legal issues for President Bush’s 2005 Inauguration. He also served as a counsel to the Platform Committee at the Republican National Conventions in 2000 and 2004 and has represented the Republican National Committee, the National Republican Senatorial Committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee and the Bush-Cheney presidential campaign in various high-profile disputes, subpoenas, congressional investigations and other matters throughout the years.
JD, The University of Kansas School of Law, 1991; BA, The University of Chicago, 1998
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Private equity buyouts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation