Mr Michael Hobel > Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP > Los Angeles, United States > Lawyer Profile
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP Offices
515 SOUTH FLOWER STREET
LOS ANGELES, CA 90071
- Go to...
Mr Michael Hobel
Entertainment and Media
Michael S. Hobel is head of Katten’s Entertainment and Media practice and has more than 25 years of experience representing media and entertainment companies in complex transactions, often dealing with valuable intellectual property rights and assets. Michael represents clients on the corporate side of entertainment transactions, including motion picture studios, television networks, film and television distribution companies, and Internet and digital media companies.
Clients call Michael “incredibly effective in driving deals to closure and note his superb overall legal and business expertise” (Chambers USA). He handles matters involving the broadcast of sporting events, video games, merchandising and multimedia, and Internet broadcasts. He also represents companies acquiring, selling and investing in production, distribution and multimedia companies, as well as film and music libraries.
Michael is particularly interested in the convergence of entertainment and technology, and is experienced in transactions involving the Internet and other digital media, including electronic sell-through and video-on-demand transactions. He also counsels entertainment industry executives in connection with their employment contracts and individual talent agreements for film, television and music products, and services and advises companies on management and protection of their trademark and copyright issues.
United States > Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
Katten‘s Los Angeles-based practice has particular experience in the entertainment content space, and also handles a range of financing and merchandising transactions. Michael Hobel is advising HBO on a range of matters, including in relation to HBO’s hit Game of Thrones series, licensing and production arrangements, and entertainment finance transactions. Other work highlights include acting for Media North America in connection with the revival of its successful television series American Idol, and advising Debmar-Mercury on the distribution of television series, such as BoJack Horseman and Schitt’s Creek. The group also acts for Paramount Pictures, Starz Media and Hulu, and assisted the latter in contractual negotiations, including those with Legendary for the series The Looming Tower. Susan Grode is another key name to note.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Private equity buyouts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation