Mr Joel Weiner > Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP > Los Angeles, United States > Lawyer Profile
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP Offices
515 SOUTH FLOWER STREET
LOS ANGELES, CA 90071
- Go to...
Mr Joel Weiner
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Joel Weiner has more than 20 years of litigation experience representing clients in a wide variety of business disputes, including entertainment matters, contract disputes, business torts, unfair competition, insurance, real estate and intellectual property disputes.
A substantial portion of his practice is focused on representing motion picture studios, television networks, production companies and other institutional media and entertainment companies in copyright, idea submission, profit participation, media law, licensing and distribution disputes. Joel represents some of the world’s most prominent and successful entertainment companies, including NBCUniversal, Universal Pictures, Relativity Media, Telemundo and Reveille, among others. He also represents clients outside of the entertainment industry, such as Verizon Wireless and Aramark Corp. He has extensive experience representing clients in California appellate courts, arbitration and mediation, as well as federal courts throughout the country.
Some of Joel’s ongoing and recent matters have included reality shows like Million Dollar Decorators, The Biggest Loser and Ghost Hunters, as well as scripted series such as Heroes. Matters outside the entertainment industry have included contract interpretation disputes, real estate investment fraud claims, environmental and land use issues, employment disputes, insurance, consumer class actions and many other areas.
Joel frequently speaks on intellectual property matters related to the entertainment industry, including recent presentations to the Los Angeles Copyright Society and the Los Angeles Chapter of the Media Law and Resource Center.
After law school, Joel served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable Martin Pence, Senior Judge of the US District Court for the District of Hawaii.
JD, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law; BA, University of California, Santa Barbara
United States > Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
The ‘very experienced and knowledgeable‘ media and entertainment litigation team at Katten ‘takes pride in its work‘, such as recently successfully defending STX Entertainment in litigation brought by Sesame Workshop over the use of the tagline ‘No Sesame. All Street.’ in its promotional materials for the R-rated movie, The Happytime Murders. Zia Modabber is acting for The Estate of Michael Jackson in a putative class action alleging Michael Jackson was not the actual vocalist on three tracks from his first posthumous album. David Halberstadter, the ‘patient and thorough‘ Joel Weiner and Gloria Franke Shaw, who attracts praise for ‘exceptional litigation for copyright infringement cases‘, are key names to note. Shaw recently acted for Barstool Sports, a satirical sports and men’s lifestyle blog, in a defamation and false light claim brought by rap and hip-hop artist Andre Roxx after he was mistakenly identified in a news story. All attorneys mentioned are based in Los Angeles.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Private equity buyouts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation