Mr Adam Klein > Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP Offices
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Mr Adam Klein
Sports and Sports Facilities
Adam R. Klein, head of the Chicago Corporate group and the nationwide Sports and Sports Facilities practice, counsels clients nationwide on matters related to the business of professional sports. He represents clients regarding the sale and acquisition of sports franchises; compliance with, and developments in, league rules; broadcast and digital media agreements; arena/stadium matters; debt and equity financing; player issues; coach and management employment agreements; intellectual property issues; ticketing agreements; concession deals; joint venture arrangements; and sponsorship and naming rights agreements.
Adam’s sports clients have included the Chicago White Sox, Chicago Bulls, Oakland Athletics, Philadelphia Phillies, Cincinnati Reds, St. Louis Blues, Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings, Milwaukee Bucks, Boston Celtics, Detroit Pistons, Atlanta Hawks, Miami Heat, Chicago Fire, Philadelphia Union, San Jose Earthquakes, United Center, Chase Center, Golden 1 Center, Time Warner Cable, JPMorgan Chase, Citibank, BMO Harris and Silver Chalice Ventures. Adam also represents high net worth individuals seeking to acquire or invest in a team, arena or stadium. He also has represented Miller Brewing in NFL sponsorships and counseled the developers of high-end, multi-use properties, such as the Time Warner Center and Hollywood & Highland Center, in their sponsorship deals for such properties. Clients praise his “command of the room” and “speed of response,” adding that “he is client friendly” and “his expertise can’t be overstated, he’s just got so much relevant experience of sports from all sides of the table” (Chambers USA). Clients also claim that Adam “has become the go-to guy in the country for regional sports networks,” according to Chambers USA.
Adam’s corporate law practice also includes representing issuers, investment banks and investors in public and private offerings of equity and debt securities. He provides counseling to public companies, as well as their boards of directors, board committees and executive officers, in connection with corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, tender offers, exchange offers, stockholder meetings and compliance with federal laws. He is co-author of the 2014 Handbook for Preparing SEC Annual Reports and Proxy Statements (Wolters Kluwer).
Adam is a frequent speaker at high-profile conferences on the topics of sports and corporate law.
JD, Harvard Law School, 1995; BS, Cornell University, 1992
United States > Industry focus > SportWithin: Leading lawyers -
The Chicago-based sports and sports facilities group at Katten ‘blends technical experience with practical knowledge‘ and ‘puts clients first while always focusing on the bigger picture and the right business deal‘. Boasting ‘extensive experience‘, Adam Klein heads the practice and attracts praise for being ‘a great leader who is always willing to get his hands dirty and get in the weeds‘. He is assisting Chicago White Sox, Chicago Bulls and Chicago Blackhawks with their new telecast rights agreements and sponsorship agreements, and is representing Golden State Warriors in relation to its arena construction loan, tax and capital structure matters and its eSports activities. The team also acted for a group led by David Bonderman in connection with its proposed acquisition of a new NHL franchise in Seattle.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Private equity buyouts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation