Mr Matthew Brown > Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP Offices
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Mr Matthew Brown
Matthew S. Brown is head of Katten’s Entrepreneurial Ventures practice and represents a wide range of businesses, entrepreneurs and investors in mergers and acquisitions, venture and angel capital financings, public securities offerings, reporting and compliance, governance and general corporate matters. He also counsels directors and special committees in connection with special transactions and investigations.
Matt has counseled clients from start-up and initial organization through angel and growth equity fundings, redemptions and recapitalizations, initial and follow on public offerings and multibillion dollar liquidity events. His clients have been in varied businesses, including enterprise software, Internet commerce platforms, air to ground telephone service, ed-tech and e-learning, for-profit education, big box retailers, industrial chemical distribution, high speed printer manufacturing, IT services, major sports franchises, scrap yards, metal roll coating, food manufacturing and automated facilities maintenance services management.
Matt was appointed by former Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley to serve on the Mayor’s Council of Technology Advisors and served for two years as co-chair of the Access to Capital Working Group. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center since its inception and helped establish Chicago’s 1871, one of the most ambitious incubator projects in the country, which is home to more than 400 digital start-up companies.
JD, Georgetown University Law Center; BA, Connecticut College, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
United States > M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
Katten‘s ‘team is very hands-on; it takes the time to understand clients’ business and works with them to find the right work product for their needs‘. The practice has particular sector knowledge in healthcare, pharmaceuticals and life sciences, sports, financial services, investment funds, education, manufacturing, parking and transportation, publishing and media, and technology. The team regularly advises on LBOs, management buyouts, going-private transactions, proxy contests, spin-offs, tender offers and restructurings; it fields attorneys with experience in all aspects of takeovers, both friendly and hostile, including designing and implementing defensive controls. Significant clients include Chicago-based private equity fund Ellipse Capital, septic services company Wind River Environmental, and Sterling Partners, a diversified investment management platform. Recent work saw the team advise Ellipse Capital on the sale of its portfolio company Monroe Engineering to ShoreView Capital, a Minneapolis-based private equity fund. It also acted for Wind River Environmental on several matters, including the acquisition of Certified Environmental Services, an environmental testing service; assisted Harmony Biosciences, a biopharmaceutical company, with its acquisition of the exclusive right to develop, register and market the narcolepsy treatment drug pitolisant in the US; and advised Versatex Holdings (Versatex), a portfolio company of Highlander Partners and manufacturer of branded trip, sheet and mouldings, on the sale of Versatex to The AZEK Company. New York’s Evan Borenstein is ‘a terrific resource and a trusted partner, who consistently provides high-quality, practical advice and gets quickly to the heart of the matter‘; and Mark Grossmann, who focuses on advising private equity funds, as well as institutional and entrepreneurial corporate clients, is global corporate practice head and divides his time between Chicago and New York. Other notable advisers are Chicago-based entrepreneurial ventures practice head Matthew Brown, Jeffrey Patt and Kimberly Smith; Charlotte’s Russell Black; Washington DC-based Mara Glaser McCahan; and New York’s Farzad Damania.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Private equity buyouts
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation