Mr David Bohan > Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP Offices
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Mr David Bohan
Financial Services Litigation
David C. Bohan is co-head of Katten’s Financial Services Litigation practice and concentrates his practice in complex civil litigation, enforcement actions, administrative proceedings and governmental investigations involving the financial services industry. David has represented investment banks, broker-dealers, futures commission merchants, proprietary trading firms, mortgage lenders, securities exchanges and other market participants in a variety of federal court litigation, regulatory investigations and SRO arbitrations. He has also represented officers, directors and issuers in shareholder class actions, derivative suits and SEC investigations. A former federal prosecutor, David has conducted or participated in numerous internal corporate investigations on behalf of corporate boards and special committees.
David also represents clients in other complex litigation, including antitrust, RICO and intellectual property disputes. He has handled matters arising out of failed mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other sophisticated financial and commercial transactions and business dissolutions. David has tried dozens of cases to judgment or verdict in state and federal courts across the country and has argued numerous appeals in the Circuit Courts of Appeal.
Upon graduation from law school, David accepted a judicial clerkship with US District Judge John F. Grady in the Northern District of Illinois. Following his clerkship, he served for five years as an Assistant US Attorney, investigating and prosecuting a wide variety of federal criminal matters, including cases involving commodities fraud, bank fraud, tax fraud and other financial crimes. He is admitted to practice in Illinois and New York and appears frequently in federal and state courts and before regulatory authorities in both jurisdictions.
JD, Harvard Law School, cum laude; BA, Northwestern University, with distinction
United States > Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
Led from the firm’s Chicago headquarters by David Bohan and Christian Kemnitz, Katten has a strong pedigree representing clients in litigation and regulatory investigations across the spectrum of financial products, from exchange-traded securities, options, futures and funds, to the most sophisticated OTC derivatives executed across both public and dark, fully electronic venues. Kemnitz is representing Chicago-based trading firm, Infinium Capital Holdings, in a case brought by former employees claiming they were duped into investing into an employee capital pool based on misleading claims about the firm’s financial health. Los Angeles-based partner Stuart Richter excels in defending financial services clients (and others) in class action claims; he is defending more than 50 banks and credit unions in a series of class action claims concerning the alleged improper charging of overdraft fees. Other clients include Morgan Stanley, Barclays and HighTower Advisors.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Private equity buyouts
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation