Mr James C. Fitzpatrick > Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP Offices
ONE BATTERY PARK PLAZA
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10004-1482
- Go to...
Mr James C. Fitzpatrick
Complex Litigation, including Product Liability, Copyright, Music Licensing and General Commercial Litigation.
General litigation and trial practice, with extensive experience in pharmaceutical products litigation and music licensing litigation. Counseling of pharmaceutical clients has included work in connection with Congressional and other governmental inquiries, media, and international litigation.
Clerkship for Hon. Hayden W Head, U.S. District Judge S.D. Tex (1996-1997) Associate at Hughes Hubbard and Reed LLP (1997-2004) Partner at Hughes Hubbard and Reed LLP since 2005.
Harvard College, AB (1993) New York University School of Law, JD (1996).
United States > Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
Co-headed from New York by Robb Patryk and James C. Fitzpatrick, the ‘experienced’ team at Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP provides ‘intelligent and strategic‘ advice to defendants from a wide range of industries/products – including specialty chemicals and asbestos. The team also has a strong reputation within the tobacco industry, principally by virtue of its high-profile work for R.J. Reynolds as national co-ordination counsel and trial counsel in the defense of cases concerning exposure to asbestos in cigarette filter material. A ‘standout litigator‘, Patryk is appreciated for his ability ‘to explain complex matters in understandable fashion with a view to strategy’.
United States > Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
As well as regularly handling high-profile product liability disputes in venues throughout the US, Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP is ‘particularly well-equipped in co-ordinating cross-border litigation’, including for major multinational life sciences clients. In this context, the firm has ‘familiarity and expertise in pharma subject matter, including science experts, regulatory rules and practices in multiple countries’. ‘Always responsive, productive and constructive’, Charles W. Cohen is pivotal to the firm’s success at handling complex multi-jurisdictional pharmaceutical product liability and is ‘extremely capable at handling disclosure matters’. James C. Fitzpatrick has ‘cutting-edge abilities on the scientific aspects’, ensuring that he is particularly well-suited to developing effective evidence and themes through his work with medical and scientific experts, both in domestic and international litigation. A ‘standout litigator’, Robb Patryk co-heads the team with Fitzpatrick and as part of his broad product liability practice he regularly handles pharmaceutical-related disputes, where he is noted for his ‘ability to explain complex matters in understandable fashion with a view to strategy’. All lawyers mentioned are in New York.
- Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices - United States > Dispute resolution
- Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco) - United States > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Tax > International tax
- International Trade > International trade
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense