Ms Diane Lifton > Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP Offices
ONE BATTERY PARK PLAZA
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10004-1482
- Go to...
Ms Diane Lifton
Litigation; Product Liability.
As Co-Chair of Hughes Hubbard’s Life Sciences Group, Diane E. Lifton develops and serves on cross-disciplinary HHR teams that support the business goals of the firm’s pharmaceutical, medical device, and biotechnology clients. With nearly 25 years of experience, Ms. Lifton has counseled clients throughout the life cycle of their businesses and their products, evaluating existing internal company policies and developing new ones, collaborating in the evaluation and updating of compliance programs, supporting clinical trial programs through the drafting and negotiation of clinical research and indemnification agreements, reviewing contracts and sales and marketing material accompanying product launch, assessing the impact of social media on product safety surveillance, conducting due diligence associated with the licensing and acquisition of pharmaceuticals and medical devices, and performing pre-litigation risk management and training. In her roles as Co-Chair of the Product Liability Group and a member of the litigation department, Ms. Lifton has represented a broad spectrum of product manufacturers in the coordination and trial of high stakes pharmaceutical, medical device, and toxic tort product liability and commercial litigations.
Partner at Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP; Co-Chair, Life Sciences Group; Co-Chair, Product Liability Group.
Member, Defense Research Institute Drug and Medical Device Committee; Member, Legal Advisory Board, New Jersey Institute for Civil Justice; Member, New Jersey Defense Association; Served as Adjunct Professor of Medical Device Law, Seton Hall University School of Law, Health Law and Policy Program, 2003-2004.
Cornell University, B.A. 1986 University of Michigan Law School, J.D. 1990.
United States > Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: pharmaceuticals and medical devices - defense
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP has ‘a unique level of expertise in product liability litigation around the world’, and regularly assists prominent pharmaceutical and medical manufacturing companies with product liability and mass tort litigation as well as class actions. James Fitzpatrick, Robb Patryk and Diane Lifton jointly head the practice, which also includes Ted Mayer, William Beausoleil and the ‘indefatigable’ Charles Cohen. Recent highlights include representing the Belgian pharmaceutical manufacturer UCB in opioid-related litigation alleging that manufacturers and distributors contributed to the current epidemic of overuse of opioid medications. Further, the team is defending the New York Blood Center against wrongful death and personal injury claims relating to blood transfusions. Fara Tabatabai was made partner in January 2019. All named partners are based in New York.
- Product liability, mass tort and class actions: pharmaceuticals and medical devices - defense - United States > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: pharmaceuticals and medical devices - defense
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Tax > International tax
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense