Mr James H. Boykin > Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP Offices
ONE BATTERY PARK PLAZA
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10004-1482
- Go to...
Mr James H. Boykin
James H. Boykin is a partner in the Arbitration practice group at the Washington, DC, office of Hughes Hubbard & Reed. His practice focuses on international arbitration and includes state-to-state and investor-state arbitration as well as commercial disputes.
James has represented investors in treaty arbitrations under the ICSID, UNCITRAL, and SCC Rules. In addition, he has represented clients in commercial arbitrations under the ICDR and ICC Rules. James is a member of the Expedited Commercial Panel of the American Arbitration Association.
William & Mary Law School, J.D., 2004
University of Virginia, B.A., 1997
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP finds favor for its ‘skills of legal analysis‘ and its ‘intercultural, diverse group‘. Largely concentrated in the firm’s Washington DC and New York offices, the national practice also benefits from a platform in Miami, which is utilised by Latin America specialist Luis O’Naghten to plug into the LatAm region. The firm covers the full scope of arbitration matters, from commercial, through to investor-state and state-to-state cases, and is active across the globe. Washington DC is the seat of high-profile arbitration co-chair John Townsend, who has served as arbitrator in over 85 arbitrations, spanning all major arbitration rules. James H. Boykin, also in Washington DC, spearheads the investment treaty arbitration practice; a key contact for German-speaking clients, Boykin is representing Deutsche Telekom in a petition to enforce an arbitral award against the Republic of India. Rémy Gerbay and Diego Durán de la Vega are also noted in Washington DC. In New York, arbitration co-chair Hagit Muriel Elul is held up as ‘a force to be reckoned with‘, and had a strong recent run in pharmaceutical-related cases. Daniel Weiner, who has a focus on IP disputes, is also recommended in New York.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Tax > International tax
- International Trade > International trade
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense