Mr Robert B. Bell > Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP Offices
1775 I STREET, NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20006-2401
- Go to...
Mr Robert B. Bell
Robert B. Bell is a partner in the Washington, DC, office of Hughes Hubbard & Reed. He is a former clerk to US Supreme Court Justice Byron R. White and US District Court Judge Thomas A. Flannery. Robert has wide experience securing antitrust clearance for mergers and acquisitions from both the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, and in representing companies and individuals in criminal and civil antitrust matters. He also regularly counsels clients on matters involving antitrust litigation and provides antitrust counseling on issues ranging from competitor collaborations to vertical distribution arrangements. His experience covers a wide array of industry sectors, including imaging, communications, defense, entertainment, manufacturing, mining, chemicals and transportation.
Stanford Law School, J.D., 1980, Order of the Coif., Editor, Stanford Journal of International Studies
University of Cambridge, M.A., Economics, 1977
Dartmouth College, B.A., 1975, Phi Beta Kappa, summa cum laude
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP advises on all aspects of antitrust law with a particular focus on merger control work. Core areas of the department’s client portfolio include pharmaceuticals, electronics, media and entertainment industries. William Kolasky leads the team out of Washington DC, where all following lawyers are based. His personal practice revolves largely around joint ventures, licensing and distribution arrangements. Taking the lead in numerous matters, Robert Bell‘s work recently focused on pharmaceuticals and mining transactions. The practice received a significant boost in April 2019, when Philip Giordano joined the team from Arnold & Porter to strengthen the firm’s offerings for technology and financial services clients.
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP is retained by domestic and multinational corporations alike to assist with criminal investigations alleging a wide array of antitrust issues such as price-fixing and market rigging. The Washington DC-based William Kolasky spearheads the department, with cartel investigations making up a significant part of his practice. Also located in the capital, Robert Bell provides advice on an extensive portfolio including competitor collaborations and vertical distribution agreements. Marc Weinstein in New York is especially active in assisting clients from the financial services industry. In April 2019, the Washington DC office welcomed Philip Giordano from Arnold & Porter to the antitrust group.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Tax > International tax
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism