Mr William J. Kolasky > Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP Offices
1775 I STREET, NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20006-2401
- Go to...
Mr William J. Kolasky
William J. Kolasky is a partner in the Washington, DC, office of Hughes Hubbard & Reed. He has nearly 40 years of experience across the full range of antitrust litigation and counseling. William regularly represents clients in antitrust litigation before courts all over the country. He also represents clients in criminal and civil investigations before both the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission. He has secured antitrust clearance from the two agencies for more than 100 mergers and acquisitions, and has coordinated merger reviews in multiple jurisdictions around the world. He also regularly counsels clients about antitrust aspects of a wide variety of business arrangements, from joint ventures to distribution arrangements. In 2013, he received the Global Competition Review’s Lifetime Achievement Award for his accomplishments in private practice, government service and antitrust scholarship.
William served as deputy assistant attorney general in the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice. While there, he was one of the architects of the International Competition Network, a network of over 100 competition authorities worldwide designed to promote greater international cooperation and convergence among those authorities. He has also taught antitrust law for over 10 years at American University’s Washington College of Law.
Harvard University, J.D., 1971, magna cum laude, Note Editor, Harvard Law Review
Dartmouth College, A.B., 1968, magna cum laude
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP‘s Robert Bell recently cleared two individual executives of charges in a criminal DOJ investigation and continues to represent them in an investigation led by a foreign competition authority. Marc Weinstein is based in New York and is acting for clients in the financial and media sectors. Practice head William Kolasky is also a key name to note and is currently part of the team defending a generic pharmaceutical company in a DOJ investigation into allegations of a price-fixing conspiracy. Named attorneys are based in Washington DC apart where otherwise indicated.
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP‘s antitrust team recently represented the Sinclair Group in its ultimately abandoned merger with Tribune Media, under the supervision of practice head William Kolasky. Other highlights included securing clearance for significant mergers in the travel management and mining sectors. Also notable are Robert Bell and associate Kristin Millay, who are based in Washington DC along with Kolasky.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: pharmaceuticals and medical devices - defense
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Tax > International tax
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense