Mr Alberto Zuleta > Holland & Knight > Bogota, Colombia > Lawyer Profile
Holland & Knight Offices
CARRERA 7 #71-21
TORRE A, PISO 8
- Go to...
Mr Alberto Zuleta
International Arbitration and Litigation |
Antitrust, Trade Regulation and Competition |
Litigation and Dispute Resolution | Colombia Practice |
Latin America Practice
Alberto Zuleta is an arbitration and litigation attorney, as well as the leader of Holland & Knight’s dispute resolution practice in Bogotá. He focuses on domestic and international arbitration and litigation, as well as competition and antitrust matters.
Mr. Zuleta has more than two decades of dispute resolution experience, including proceedings before Colombian courts at all levels. His extensive record of accomplishment in arbitration includes domestic and cross-border proceedings under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) and the different arbitration centers in Colombia.
In addition, Mr. Zuleta handles antitrust investigations and litigation proceedings before the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce (SIC), matters regarding unfair trade practices and premerger reviews.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Zuleta served as the head of a major Colombian firm’s litigation and arbitration department.
Mr. Zuleta’s recent representative engagements include:
- representing an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor against the owner in a $4 billion-plus ICC arbitration arising out of the construction of a mega infrastructure project in Colombia
- representing a Colombian company in the oil sector in a $125 million ICC arbitration seated in Bogotá and regarding a contract for the construction of port facilities
- representing a multinational group of companies in a fiscal liability proceeding before the Contraloría General de la República in relation to a $6.8 billion-plus fiscal detriment regarding a state-owned Colombian company
- representing a Colombian company in the oil sector in an $80 million ICC arbitration seated in New York and regarding a contract for the construction of a gas pipeline and port facilities
- representing a Colombian company of the private sector in a $30 million ICC arbitration against a consortium of companies regarding the construction of an oil pipeline
- acting as chairman of an international ICC arbitration seated in a South American country other than Colombia, concerning a works contract for the construction of a transmission line in the electrical power sector (arbitration conducted in English)
English - Spanish
ICC Colombia Arbitration Subcommittee
ICC Latin American Arbitration Group
Colegio de Abogados Comercialistas
Latin American Arbitration Association (ALARB)
Colombian Arbitration Committee
Center of Arbitration of the Lima Chamber of Commerce, List of International Arbitrators
Bogotá Chamber of Commerce Center of Arbitration and Conciliation, List of International Arbitrators
Bogotá Chamber of Commerce Center of Arbitration and Conciliation, “A” List of Arbitrators
Colegio de Abogados Comercialistas (ABOGCOM), President
Harvard Law School, LL.M.
Universidad de los Andes, Specialization, International Contractual Regime
Universidad de los Andes, J.D
Holland & Knight’s practice group handles competition and antitrust law, as well as consumer and IP matters. Recent work saw practice head Danilo Romero, an IP expert, defend a multinational in an unfair competition process regarding allegedly misleading advertising initiated by one of the company’s main competitors. The group is also representing an individual under investigation by the SIC for alleged collusion in relation to an infrastructure construction concession. Dispute resolution practice head Alberto Zuleta also handles antitrust investigations and litigation proceedings before the SIC. Clients include Terpel and Pegatex-Artecola.
Holland & Knight’s well-regarded practice handles local and international investment arbitration. In ‘renowned’ executive partner Enrique Gómez-Pinzón the firm has a ‘star player’ with extensive experience as an arbitrator in ICC, ICSID and CIETAC tribunals; a heavyweight in the market, Gómez-Pinzón is currently acting as arbitrator in three different ongoing ICSID cases. Also, with an ‘outstanding’ reputation, practice head Alberto Zuleta is leading two of the most relevant international arbitration processes in Colombia, both of them under ICC rules; one involves a multi-party dispute between a consortium of coal companies regarding the operation of a Colombian railroad.(Leading individuals)
Primarily acting for multinationals with operations in Colombia, Holland & Knight fields an ‘outstanding’ multi-disciplinary practice group that is ‘available 24/7’. Led by Alberto Zuleta, who finds solutions ‘to the toughest problems’, the eight-strong team also includes energy – and energy disputes – specialist José Vicente Zapata (who is highlighted both for his expertise and because he is ‘always hands-on, supervising and working directly on your requests’) and executive partner Enrique Gómez-Pinzón. The practice is currently representing a mining company in several constitutional claims for the protection of fundamental rights regarding ethnic communities. Among other recent highlights, the team continues to defend a telecoms company against a claim brought by a distributor for breach of contract. Associates Juan Casallas and Daniel Fajardo are also noted.
- Leading individuals - Colombia > Dispute resolution > Litigation
- Arbitration - Colombia > Dispute resolution
- Litigation - Colombia > Dispute resolution
- Competition and antitrust - Colombia