Mr Alberto Zuleta > Holland & Knight > Bogota, Colombia > Lawyer Profile
Holland & Knight Offices
CARRERA 7 #71-21
TORRE A, PISO 8
- Go to...
Mr Alberto Zuleta
International Arbitration and Litigation |
Antitrust, Trade Regulation and Competition |
Litigation and Dispute Resolution | Colombia Practice |
Latin America Practice
Alberto Zuleta is an arbitration and litigation attorney, as well as the leader of Holland & Knight’s dispute resolution practice in Bogotá. He focuses on domestic and international arbitration and litigation, as well as competition and antitrust matters.
Mr. Zuleta has more than two decades of dispute resolution experience, including proceedings before Colombian courts at all levels. His extensive record of accomplishment in arbitration includes domestic and cross-border proceedings under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) and the different arbitration centers in Colombia.
In addition, Mr. Zuleta handles antitrust investigations and litigation proceedings before the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce (SIC), matters regarding unfair trade practices and premerger reviews.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Zuleta served as the head of a major Colombian firm’s litigation and arbitration department.
Mr. Zuleta’s recent representative engagements include:
- representing an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor against the owner in a $4 billion-plus ICC arbitration arising out of the construction of a mega infrastructure project in Colombia
- representing a Colombian company in the oil sector in a $125 million ICC arbitration seated in Bogotá and regarding a contract for the construction of port facilities
- representing a multinational group of companies in a fiscal liability proceeding before the Contraloría General de la República in relation to a $6.8 billion-plus fiscal detriment regarding a state-owned Colombian company
- representing a Colombian company in the oil sector in an $80 million ICC arbitration seated in New York and regarding a contract for the construction of a gas pipeline and port facilities
- representing a Colombian company of the private sector in a $30 million ICC arbitration against a consortium of companies regarding the construction of an oil pipeline
- acting as chairman of an international ICC arbitration seated in a South American country other than Colombia, concerning a works contract for the construction of a transmission line in the electrical power sector (arbitration conducted in English)
English - Spanish
ICC Colombia Arbitration Subcommittee
ICC Latin American Arbitration Group
Colegio de Abogados Comercialistas
Latin American Arbitration Association (ALARB)
Colombian Arbitration Committee
Center of Arbitration of the Lima Chamber of Commerce, List of International Arbitrators
Bogotá Chamber of Commerce Center of Arbitration and Conciliation, List of International Arbitrators
Bogotá Chamber of Commerce Center of Arbitration and Conciliation, “A” List of Arbitrators
Colegio de Abogados Comercialistas (ABOGCOM), President
Harvard Law School, LL.M.
Universidad de los Andes, Specialization, International Contractual Regime
Universidad de los Andes, J.D
Holland & Knight‘s practice has a focus on contentious work relating to public environmental law matters, acting for major mining, oil and gas, and construction companies. The group advises on jurisprudence from the Constitutional Court and the Council of State on matters such as popular consultations, prior consultation and constitutional claims for the protection of fundamental rights, as well as undertaking local and international arbitration. Energy and natural resources leader José Vicente Zapata and experienced litigator Alberto Zuleta (also head of the firm’s dispute resolution area) co-head a ten-strong practice group that provides ‘excellent customer service and pragmatism’. Senior counsel Juan Casallas, particularly noted for his ‘substantive knowledge of administrative and constitutional law’, is also a key member of the practice group.
Handling top tier commercial, administrative and constitutional litigation, Holland & Knight‘s multi-disciplinary practice fields three renowned specialist partners. Practice head Alberto Zuleta is a litigator and arbitrator who also undertakes antitrust investigations and unfair competition cases. The practice has a notable sweet spot in all-type disputes related to the energy sector, particularly those presenting environmental or community aspects, where energy and natural resources head José Vicente Zapata brings his expertise to bear. Prestigious corporate and transactional figure, executive partner Enrique Gómez-Pinzón is also active in the area, especially in arbitration. The eight-strong group also includes senior counsel Juan Casallas who focuses on public law, constitutional and administrative litigation; and associate Estefanny Pardo who acts in environmental and mining litigation.
Holland & Knight‘s disputes practice excels in arbitration, with notable firepower in complex, multi-jurisdictional cases. Primarily acting for multinationals with operations in Colombia, the practice undertakes local and international investment and commercial arbitration, which is handled by two reputed partners who also both have experience sitting as arbitrators. Executive partner Enrique Gómez-Pinzón, who currently divides his time between Bogotá and Washington, has been on the ICSID roster of arbitrators since 2000; with past experience in investment cases throughout the region, more recently he has acted as arbitrator in two ICSID cases, and also has extensive experience in ICC and CIETAC tribunals. As party counsel, Gómez-Pinzón paired up with practice head Alberto Zuleta to represent a contractor against a state-owned entity in ICC arbitration. Zuleta, in turn, who has extensive experience operating within the ICSID and UNCITRAL frameworks, as well as under local arbitration centre rules, has been active of late as party counsel to a hydrocarbons company, and is acting as arbitrator in two ICC cases. With over ten years’ experience, senior counsel Juan Casallas focuses on public law, arbitration, and constitutional and administrative litigation.
- Leading individuals - Colombia > Dispute resolution > Arbitration
- Leading individuals - Colombia > Dispute resolution > Litigation
- Arbitration - Colombia > Dispute resolution
- Litigation - Colombia > Dispute resolution
- Public law - Colombia