Joseph Matal > Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. > Washington, United States > Lawyer Profile
Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. Offices
800 17TH STREET, NW
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20006
- Go to...
Intellectual Property; Patent Office Trials; Trademarks; Technology Transactions
Joe has served as both the U.S. Patent and Trademark’s Acting Director and Acting Solicitor. As Acting Solicitor, he defended the agency in intellectual property cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court. In his role in the Solicitor’s Office, he participated in briefing almost every major case involving PTAB trials that has come before the Federal Circuit, including cases that have defined the Board’s powers and the evidence that it may consider, the content of final decisions, and the burdens and scope of motions to amend. His practice focuses on USPTO post-issuance proceedings and Federal Circuit appeals.
J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 1996, Order of the Coif; Articles Editor, California Law Review
United States > Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. fields a team of experienced trademark lawyers across the country, though its strongest presence is in Dallas. Acting for clients in the advertising, telecoms, financial services and music industries, the team handles the full range of IP matters, including domain name disputes, oppositions and enforcement. Contacts in the Dallas office include trademark group chair David Bell, a name to note for international brand management; Purvi Patel Alber, who advises Fortune 500 companies on US and foreign trademark enforcement; and Jeffrey Becker, who is also noted for brand management as well as for advertising issues. 2020 saw the introduction of a number of new team members: in May, Erin Hennessy joined from Bracewell LLP; in August, partner Joseph Matal joined from the USPTO; and in November, Theresa Conduah joined the firm from an in-house role.
- Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing) - United States > Intellectual property
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional