Mr Jorge Luis Arenales > Arias > Guatemala, Guatemala > Lawyer Profile
DIAGONAL 6 10-01 ZONA 10
CENTRO GERENCIAL LAS MARGARITAS TORRE II, OFICINA 402 B
GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA C A
- Go to...
Mr Jorge Luis Arenales
Head of Corporate and Finance.
- Partner at Arias since 1998 | Head of Corporate and Finance department.
- He specializes in advising corporations on mergers and acquisitions and corporate and commercial matters. He has ample experience in regulated industries such as Energy, Oil & Gas, Telecommunications. Jorge Luis has considerable experience in Project Financing and structuring of guarantees. Also, his experience includes corporate and civil litigation as well as commercial arbitration.
- In tax matters, He has participated and advised regarding structuring in transactions, for both Buyers and Sellers, for the last 20 years, in almost all types of businesses, such as retail, pharmaceutical, energy, petroleum, construction and agroforestry investments.
- Member of the Bar Association of Guatemala.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Institute of Mercantile Law of Guatemala.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Faculty of Law of Universidad del Itsmo.
- Global Ambassador in Guatemala for Northwestern University.
- Co Chair, Latin American Council, International Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Member of International Bar Association (IBA)
- Law Degree in Universidad Francisco Marroquín of Guatemala.
- Authorized to practice Law and Notary.
- LLM with honors from Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
- Certified in Business Administration at the Instituto de Empresa (Madrid).
- Postgraduate degree in the Lawyer Instruction Program (PIL: Programa de
Instrucción para Abogados), Harvard Law School Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Professor of the MBAs Finance Specialization course at the Business
School of Francisco Marroquín University.
- Associate Professor at the Faculty of Law of the Universidad Francisco
- Guest speaker in the courses of updating commercial law taught by the
Universidad San Carlos de Guatemala, the Institute of Commercial Law and
the Bar and Notaries Association of Guatemala.
Arias has maintained its strong regional presence following the split of leading Central American firm Arias & Muñoz in 2016, and retains offices in all six countries in the region. It is highly active in multi-jurisdictional transactions, including large-scale M&A and financings, acting for leading international clients from a wide range of sectors. On the corporate side, the firm also advises on group reorganisations and investments into the region by international companies. In addition, it is well versed in debt restructuring, project finance and financial regulation. In El Salvador, the standout names for corporate and finance work include Lilian Arias and Roberta Gallardo, who heads the M&A practice. In Guatemala, Jorge Luis Arenales is highly experienced in both corporate and finance matters, particularly in highly regulated sectors, while Evangelina Lardizabal, who has significant M&A and project finance expertise, is the key contact in Honduras. Vicente Lines leads the banking and finance practice in Costa Rica, where Melania Dittel is well regarded for corporate matters. Bertha Argüello and Ana Teresa Rizo, an expert in foreign investment matters, are the names to note in Nicaragua. In Panama, Yuri Moreno and Maria Cristina Fábrega are the key contacts for corporate and finance matters, respectively.
The ‘experienced‘ and ‘efficient‘ team at Arias acts for both local companies and large multinationals from a diverse range of sectors, including energy, infrastructure, pharmaceuticals, telecoms and financial services. The team has been highly active in advising on restructurings due to the pandemic, and has also assisted major international clients with setting up operations in Guatemala and with corporate governance issues. On the M&A side, large-scale regional transactions are a key part of the team’s workload, often with the support of the firm’s other offices in Central America. The firm is also part of the Vance Centre’s “Keep Families Together” pro bono initiative, launched in 2018. Highly regarded practice co-head Jorge Luis Arenales has notable expertise in corporate transactions in the energy, power and telecoms sectors, while fellow co-head Luis Pedro Del Valle is skilled in corporate restructurings, venture capital transactions and cross-border matters. The sizeable associate team includes Ana Avila and Jorge Ordoñez.
Highlighted for its ‘very quick response times and pragmatic solutions‘, the experienced team at Arias handles a wide range of financial transactions, spanning real estate finance, corporate finance and the financing of large-scale energy and infrastructure projects. It has recently been particularly active advising global development institutions on loans to local banks intended to support the SME sector in Guatemala during the pandemic. Cross-border financing is a key area of expertise, with the team regularly drawing on the support of the regional firm’s other offices in Central America, as is financial regulation, particularly fintech matters. Senior partner Jorge Luis Arenales, who has extensive experience in trade finance, project finance and corporate lending, leads the team with the ‘attentive and prompt‘ Luis Pedro Del Valle. The strong cohort of associates includes Cindy Arrivillaga, who has particular strength in international transactions. Since publication, Arrivillaga has been raised to senior associate – effective as of March 2022.
- Banking and finance - Guatemala
- Corporate and M&A - Guatemala
- Leading individuals - Guatemala > Banking and finance
- Leading individuals - Guatemala > Corporate and M&A