Mr Jorge Luis Arenales > Arias > Guatemala, Guatemala > Lawyer Profile
DIAGONAL 6 10-01 ZONA 10
CENTRO GERENCIAL LAS MARGARITAS TORRE II, OFICINA 402 B
GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA C A
- Go to...
Mr Jorge Luis Arenales
Head of Corporate and Finance.
- Partner at Arias since 1998 | Head of Corporate and Finance department.
- He specializes in advising corporations on mergers and acquisitions and corporate and commercial matters. He has ample experience in regulated industries such as Energy, Oil & Gas, Telecommunications. Jorge Luis has considerable experience in Project Financing and structuring of guarantees. Also, his experience includes corporate and civil litigation as well as commercial arbitration.
- Currently ranked in the highest positions, number one in all international legal directories, such as Chambers Partners, The Legal 500 and IFLR, in his practice areas.
- In tax matters, He has participated and advised regarding structuring in transactions, for both Buyers and Sellers, for the last 20 years, in almost all types of businesses, such as retail, pharmaceutical, energy, petroleum, construction and agroforestry investments.
- Member of the Guatemalan Bar Association
- Member of the Board of Directors 2015-2017 of the Business Law Institute in Guatemala.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Faculty of Law of Universidad del Itsmo.
- Global Ambassador in Guatemala for the Northwestern University.
- Law Degree from Universidad Francisco Marroquín, Guatemala.
- Authorized as a practicing Attorney and Notary Public.
- LL.M with honors from Northwestern University School of Law (Chicago).
- Certificate in Business Administration from Instituto de Empresa (Madrid).
- Program of Negotiation for Lawyers (PIL) at Harvard Law School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- LL.M in Finance program where he was also the Director of the Continuous Education Seminars.
- Associate Professor in the Faculty of the School of Law of Universidad Francisco Marroquín.
- Member of the Advisory Committee of the Faculty of Law at Universidad del Istmo,
- Guest Speaker for the Graduate Studies Program of Contemporary Mercantile Law Update, offered by Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala, the Institute of Mercantile Law and Colegio de Abogados y Notarios de Guatemala.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Valued by clients for its ‘regional presence‘, Arias is experienced in handling multi-jurisdictional finance transactions alongside the firm’s other offices located throughout Central America. The team advises on structuring debt financing and loan security packages, debt restructuring, project finance, asset securitisation, the structuring of investment funds and trusts, and financial regulation. It also has expertise in private equity transactions, advising both borrowers and lenders, and securities and commodities offerings. The practice is jointly led by Jorge Luis Arenales, who specialises in financings in the energy and natural resources sectors; Luis Pedro Del Valle, whose strengths include the structuring of syndicated loan agreements and securities; and Mario René Archila, who handles financial litigation.
The broad corporate practice at Arias covers M&A, reorganisations, the establishment of branches and representative offices, and corporate governance, and is highly active advising international clients on investments in Guatemala. The team’s client base includes a large number of multinationals, and it is experienced in advising on multi-jurisdictional transactions, often with the support of the regional firm’s network of offices across Central America. The practice has particular strength in highly regulated sectors, including telecoms, energy and finance. Jorge Luis Arenales, who has extensive experience in domestic and cross-border transactions and investment projects, leads the team with Luis Pedro Del Valle, who is noted for his telecoms expertise. The strong cohort of associates includes Florencio Gramajo, Jorge Ordoñez and Ana Avila.