Mr Marcelo Inglez de Souza > Demarest Advogados > Sao Paulo, Brazil > Lawyer Profile
Demarest Advogados Offices
AV PEDROSO DE MORAES 1201
SÃO PAULO, SP 05419-001
- Go to...
Mr Marcelo Inglez de Souza
Partner of Demarest’s Litigation and Arbitration practice and member of the firm’s Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Marcelo Junqueira Inglez de Souza holds a PhD in Law from Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg University (Germany) as well as a master’s degree and bachelor’s degree in Law from the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP). He concentrates his practice in corporate, contractual, civil and commercial litigation, representing large domestic and multinational companies. He is the author of books and is an invited professor in the areas of procedural law, arbitration and intellectual property. Marcelo is listed in renowned local and international legal publications.
Portuguese, English, German
- Member of the Board of Experts of the Dispute Resolution Center of the Brazilian Intellectual Property Association (CSD-ABPI).
- Counselor of the Dispute Resolution Center of the Brazilian Intellectual Property Association (CSD-ABPI).
- Former Representative of the São Paulo Section of the Brazilian Intellectual Property Association (ABPI).
- Former Coordinator in São Paulo of the Committee for Repression of Infringements for the Brazilian Intellectual Property Association (ABPI).
- Former member of the Study Group on Intellectual Property, Arbitration and Mediation of the Brazilian Arbitration Committee (CBAr).
- Former member of the Committee on Legislative Affairs of the Brazilian Arbitration Committee (CBAr).
- Former member of the Commission on Intellectual Property, Technology and Innovation Contracts of the Arbitration Center of the Brazil-Canada Chamber of Commerce (CAM-CCBC).
- Former member of the “Guido Soares” Arbitration Study Group of the Arbitration Center of the Brazil-Canada Chamber of Commerce (CAM-CCBC).
- Former member of the Special Commission on Intangible Property of the Brazilian Bar Association – São Paulo Section (OAB-SP).
- Invited professor for the post-graduate course at the Escola Superior de Advocacia (ESA-SP).
- Invited professor for the post-graduate course at the Associação Paulista da Propriedade Intelectual (ASPI).
- Invited professor for the In Company courses at Fundação Getúlio Vargas (FGV).
- Former assistant professor of Civil Procedural Law at the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP).
- PhD in Law from Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg University, magna cum laude, Freiburg, Germany (2008).
- Admitted as visiting researcher by Max-Planck-Institut für Innovation und Wettbewerb, Munich, Germany (2007).
- Admitted for scholarship to the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst – DAAD, Bonn, Germany (2006).
- Masters Degree in Procedural Law from the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP), with highest distinction, São Paulo, Brazil (2005).
- Bachelor of Laws from the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC-SP), São Paulo, (2000).
The highly regarded team at Demarest Advogados handles a diverse caseload, which features complex cases before various arbitration centres in Brazil and abroad. The firm’s client roster is made up of large players from several economic sectors, including energy, infrastructure, automotive and life sciences. The department excels in corporate disputes involving M&A transactions, capital markets and corporate control issues, but is also adept at handling cases pertaining to energy, infrastructure and construction contracts. The practice is under the joint leadership of Celso Xavier, Rafael Gagliardi and Marcelo Inglez de Souza. Carlo Verona is predominantly engaged in international arbitration and cross-border disputes.
With a strong network of offices in Brazil, ‘renowned law firm‘ Demarest Advogados has the ability to act for clients from several segments, including energy, pharmaceutical, infrastructure and steel production, in litigation, arbitration and mediation. Corporate disputes, cases involving capital markets, contractual liability and public law issues are key areas of activity for the practice, which is under the joint leadership of Celso Xavier, Marcelo Inglez de Souza and Rafael Gagliardi. Xavier excels in litigation involving securities, competition law and contractual agreements, while Souza combines a strong dispute resolution and intellectual property practice. Regulatory matters, most notably those involving the energy and infrastructure sectors, are among Gagliardi’s areas of expertise. Since publication, in February 2022, the firm announced the arrival of superior court litigation expert Angela Cignachi Baeta Neves in Brasília.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Competition and antitrust
- Tax > Customs
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration
- Dispute Resolution: Litigation
- Labour and employment
- Projects and infrastructure
- Public law
- Real estate
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Tax > Tax advisory
- Intellectual property
- Life sciences
- TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy
- Transport: Aviation
- White-collar crime and investigations
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity (and renewable energy)
- Energy and natural resources > Hydrocarbons
- Tax > Tax litigation