Mr Stephen Crain > Bracewell LLP > Houston, United States > Lawyer Profile
Bracewell LLP Offices
711 LOUISIANA STREET
HOUSTON, TX 77002
- Go to...
Mr Stephen Crain
Stephen Crain has spent his career advocating for clients in high-stake and complex commercial disputes in the United States and internationally. Stephen’s practice largely focuses on energy, securities, and construction. His diverse energy practice ranges from oil and gas royalty class actions to power-trading disputes to claims in adversary proceedings. In securities matters, Stephen represents officers, directors, and corporations in class actions and has successfully defeated multiple injunctions sought to prevent mergers. Stephen also represents owners in large-scale construction disputes.
He is the firm-wide Chair of the Litigation Group and serves on the firm’s Management Committee.
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1990; A.B., Duke University, 1987.
A major force in the energy sector, Bracewell LLP is based in Texas, but its geographical reach spans the country. The litigation team is also known for strengths in the tech and financial industries. In major work, ‘exceptional‘ practice head Stephen Crain represented Apache Corporation in a $1.1bn case arising from purchase and sale agreements filed in Texas state court; he obtained a dismissal of the entire case on the eve of trial. In another highlight, a team led by Bryan Dumesnil and Bradley Benoit acted for Southern Copper Corporation in a shareholder derivative action filed in Delaware Chancery Court arising out of transactions related to two power plants. Another key litigator is the ‘masterful strategist‘ Sean Gorman in Houston; he is representing Southwestern Energy as plaintiff against Sapient in Texas state court in a $18m case alleging that Sapient failed to meet expectations that it would implement cutting-edge energy trading and risk management software.
Bracewell LLP is a key name in the oil and gas market with substantial litigation credentials. It acts for defendants and plaintiffs ranging from a number of major oil and gas companies to companies emerging in the market. Cases stem from operating agreements, development agreements, royalty disputes, title disputes, surface use agreements and environmental issues, among others. Chair of the litigation group Stephen Crain has a strong focus on the energy industry, including cases involving securities law violations. Sean Gorman and Andrew Zeve are also key names. All named partners are based in Houston; the practice also fields a number of key partners in Austin including Deanna King, who co-chairs the firm’s energy litigation practice with Zeve.
Bracewell LLP‘s connections to the energy sector provide it with the basis for a flourishing conventional power litigation practice. The group represents some of the largest power producers as defendants and plaintiffs in the country and worldwide, regularly handles cases before the federal courts and FERC, and is highly experienced in cross-border disputes. Chair of the firm-wide litigation group Stephen Crain has a major focus on energy disputes, representing developers and producers, commodity traders and suppliers to the energy industry. Bradley Benoit is another energy disputes expert with notable experience in defending shareholder class actions and derivatives cases. Washington DC-based Catherine McCarthy chairs the energy regulatory group and often represents energy clients in contentious matters before FERC and other regulatory bodies. Austin partner Deanna King co-heads the energy litigation practice with Andrew Zeve. Named individuals are based in Houston unless stated otherwise.
- Energy litigation: conventional power - United States > Industry focus
- Energy litigation: oil and gas - United States > Industry focus
- General commercial disputes - United States > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Government > Government relations
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Finance > Project finance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Investment funds > Alternative/hedge funds
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense