Ms Deanna King > Bracewell LLP > Austin, United States > Lawyer Profile
Bracewell LLP Offices
111 CONGRESS AVENUE, STE 2300
AUSTIN, TX 78701-4061
- Go to...
Ms Deanna King
Energy Regulatory Litigation
Deanna King, co-chair of the firm’s energy litigation practice group, represents domestic and foreign energy-industry clients in a broad range of matters related to market access, competition, market behavior and market design, enforcement and compliance, and restructuring and cross-border issues related to participation in United States energy markets. She counsels energy sector clients on regulatory and compliance matters and represents them in enforcement, administrative and litigation proceedings, with a particular focus on organized and bilateral energy markets in the west, contract negotiation and dispute resolution, and compliance with market rules.
J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 1998; M.Ed., with highest honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1988; B.S., magna cum laude, Baylor University, 1986
Bracewell LLP has extensive experience before FERC, the DoE, the CFTC, the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and other regional entities. The practice has a notable reputation in the energy field, backed up by key regulatory credentials. It also has a strong record in rate and centralized market issues and is singled out for its hydroelectric capabilities. Catherine McCarthy heads up the firm’s energy regulatory department and has experience in obtaining FERC and other state approvals for major projects and transactions. Austin-based partner Deanna King has extensive transmission regulation experience and is active in the California independent system operator market. Paul Wight is noted for design and operations matters, Stephen Hug was promoted to partner in early 2019, and Michael Brooks is praised for his knowledge of wholesale markets. Named partners are based in Washington DC unless stated otherwise.
Bracewell LLP is a key name in the oil and gas market with substantial litigation credentials. It acts for defendants and plaintiffs ranging from a number of major oil and gas companies to companies emerging in the market. Cases stem from operating agreements, development agreements, royalty disputes, title disputes, surface use agreements and environmental issues, among others. Chair of the litigation group Stephen Crain has a strong focus on the energy industry, including cases involving securities law violations. Sean Gorman and Andrew Zeve are also key names. All named partners are based in Houston; the practice also fields a number of key partners in Austin including Deanna King, who co-chairs the firm’s energy litigation practice with Zeve.
Bracewell LLP‘s connections to the energy sector provide it with the basis for a flourishing conventional power litigation practice. The group represents some of the largest power producers as defendants and plaintiffs in the country and worldwide, regularly handles cases before the federal courts and FERC, and is highly experienced in cross-border disputes. Chair of the firm-wide litigation group Stephen Crain has a major focus on energy disputes, representing developers and producers, commodity traders and suppliers to the energy industry. Bradley Benoit is another energy disputes expert with notable experience in defending shareholder class actions and derivatives cases. Washington DC-based Catherine McCarthy chairs the energy regulatory group and often represents energy clients in contentious matters before FERC and other regulatory bodies. Austin partner Deanna King co-heads the energy litigation practice with Andrew Zeve. Named individuals are based in Houston unless stated otherwise.
- Energy litigation: conventional power - United States > Industry focus
- Energy regulation: conventional power - United States > Industry focus
- Energy litigation: oil and gas - United States > Industry focus
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Government > Government relations
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Finance > Project finance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Investment funds > Alternative/hedge funds
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense