Neal Walters > Ballard Spahr LLP > New Jersey, United States > Lawyer Profile
Ballard Spahr LLP Offices
700 EAST GATE DRIVE
SUITE 330 MOUNT LAUREL
- Go to...
Partner and Leader of Ballard Spahr’s Product Liability/Mass Tort Group
Neal Walters is the Practice Leader of Ballard Spahr’s Product Liability and Mass Tort Group, and a member of the firm’s Manufacturing and Retail Industry Groups. Neal has a diverse trial and litigation practice focused on protecting product companies, as well as clients involved in technical matters, against a broad range of risks. As counsel for several consumer product manufacturers, he has defended and coordinated product liability and consumer claims, including class actions, through trial in jurisdictions across the country.
He also counsels companies on contractual, regulatory, and liability issues arising in the development, sale, and servicing of products. Most recently, this has included responding to emergent requests from clients to address COVID-19 related product risks, including the evaluation and support of emergency PPE.
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Rutgers School of Law-Camden, former Adjunct Professor, Pretrial Advocacy and Electronic Discovery
Defense Research Institute
Neal is a Trustee of the Board of Directors, and the Chair of the Governance Committee, of the South Jersey Food Bank. Neal was a collegiate baseball player and is an athletics enthusiast. He is an avid golfer and is actively involved in coaching a variety of youth sports for the Marlton (New Jersey) Recreation Council.
Rutgers University, The State University of New Jersey School of Law-Newark (J.D. 1993)
Rutgers College (B.A. 1990)
United States > Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: automotive/transport
Under the leadership of New Jersey-based Neal Walters, who heads up the overarching product liability and mass tort group, Ballard Spahr LLP handles a significant volume of automotive and transport-related disputes, as well as providing risk management counselling. The team is adept at representing clients throughout the life cycle of litigation in New Jersey federal and state courts, as well as nationally, including in the context of class certification defense proceedings, and mounting vigorous defenses at a final trial stage. Subaru of America remains a core client of the firm and continues to generate a significant amount of product liability-related work, including numerous ongoing class actions in the New Jersey federal court. Roberto Rivera-Soto, a former New Jersey Supreme Court Justice, is a core member of the practice, particularly when it comes to appellate matters. Casey Watkins departed the firm for an in-house role in July 2021.
- Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: automotive/transport - United States > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: automotive/transport
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Project finance