James Walston > Ballard Spahr LLP > Minneapolis, United States > Lawyer Profile
Ballard Spahr LLP Offices
2000 IDS CENTER 80
SOUTH 8TH STREET
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55402-2119
- Go to...
Partner and Practice Leader of Ballard Spahr’s Real Estate Development and Transactions Group
James R. “Jim” Walston is the Practice Leader of Ballard Spahr’s Real Estate Development and Transactions Group. He is a commercial real estate attorney with 35 years of in-depth professional and industry experience covering a broad range of commercial real estate matters in Minnesota and throughout the United States.
Jim’s practice presently includes legal representation of clients in connection with commercial real estate purchases, sales, leases, real estate finance transactions, public transportation projects, zoning and land use matters and real estate loan workouts.
Jim also serves as a reliable and experienced resource for small- to mid-market owner-managed businesses in Minnesota and South Dakota on a variety of real estate-related and general corporate matters.
American Bar Association, Real Property Trust and Estates and Business Law sections
Minnesota State Bar Association, Real Property Law Specialist (certified in 1991)
Hennepin County Bar Association
Pro Bono — Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) Real Estate Clinic
Pro Bono — Northeast Senior Services, Inc. Legal Clinic
Volunteer — Ujamaa Place
Volunteer — Urban Homeworks
William Mitchell College of Law (now Mitchell Hamline School of Law) (J.D. 1985)
University of Nebraska (B.A., Political Science, 1982)
Ballard Spahr LLP‘s land use and zoning group has attorneys in various areas of the country that advise on securing all permits and approvals on real estate projects, and excels in historic preservation and environmental issues. It has a particularly strong base in Philadelphia, continuing to represent clients in some of the cities highest-profile developments, and head of the department Matthew McClure is based at the firm’s office there. His practice emphasizes development, land use, zoning, and historic preservation matters and he frequently works with David Gest in cases before the Zoning Board of Adjustment, the Philadelphia Historical Commission and the Civic Design Review Committee. In Salt Lake City, Thomas Bennett has a focus on development of commercial and resort properties, frequently involving zoning and entitlements work, while at the Minneapolis office, James Walston heads the firm’s real estate development and transactions group and covers land use and zoning in his broad practice.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: automotive/transport
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Project finance