Christine B LaFollette > Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP > Houston, United States > Lawyer Profile
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Offices
111 LOUISIANA STREET, 44TH FLOOR
HOUSTON, TX 77002
- Go to...
Christine B LaFollette
Partner; Oil & Gas/Natural Resources
Chris LaFollette is the partner in charge of the Akin Gump’s Houston office and co-chair of the firm’s Oil & Gas/Natural Resources practice. She is a transactional energy lawyer who provides a range of advice to issuers, investors and underwriters in public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities. She also counsels master limited partnerships (MLPs) and provides advice regarding federal and state securities laws. In addition, Chris represents clients in public and private mergers and acquisitions and assists public companies, boards of directors and special committees with corporate governance issues. She understands and respects the energy industry and, alongside her clients, has weathered more than three decades of volatile markets and shifting regulatory demands. In 2018, among other high-profile transactions, she advised Cimarex Energy Corporation in its $1.6 billion acquisition of Resolute Energy Corporation.
To learn more about Ms. LaFollette, please visit her full profile: https://www.akingump.com/en/lawyers-advisors/christine-b-lafollette.html
Sustaining Fellow, Houston Bar Association and Texas Bar Foundation; Member of Advisory Council Tahirih Justice Center; Director of World Affairs Council Houston and National Association of Corporate Directors Texas Tricities Chapter; former Chair of Corporate Counsel Section; former Director of Houston Bar Foundation.
B.S. (highest honors), University of Texas; J.D. (honors), Loyola University.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s issuer-focused group is particularly well versed in advising energy companies and MLPs on debt offerings. Among its recent highlights, New York-based Rosa Testani advised Warrior Met Coal on its $350m offering of senior secured notes and its subsequent $125m tack-on offering. In Dallas, Seth Molay assisted Diamondback Energy with three debt transactions, which included a $750m offering of senior notes. The team has also recently undertaken work for CEVA Logistics, Gulfport Energy and Sanchez Energy. Other key contacts include securities co-lead John Goodgame, Vincent Kendrick and Christine LaFollette, all of whom are based in Houston. Further, in 2018, Robert Shearer joined in Houston from Baker & Hostetler LLP.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP advises public and private energy companies, project sponsors, banks and investors on construction and development mandates, operational matters and finance transactions. Standout highlights included Dallas-based Seth Molay and New York-based Jeffrey Kochian acting for Diamondback Energy in its announced $9.2bn acquisition of Energen Corporation. The practice is jointly headed by Rick Burdick in the Washington DC office, and John Goodgame and Christine LaFollette in Houston. Other key lawyers include Michael Byrd, who specializes in upstream M&A, and David Elder, who focuses on securities offerings and corporate governance. Steven Otillar left for White & Case LLP, but David Sweeney and Robert Shearer joined the team from K&L Gates and Baker & Hostetler LLP, respectively.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP handles a mix of governance work, with many instructions evincing the firm’s strong reputation in the energy industry. In Houston, Christine LaFollette advised Landmark Infrastructure Partners’ conflicts committee on numerous transactions, while John Goodgame acted for the conflicts committee of Shell Midstream Partners in its purchase of a majority stake in the Amberjack pipeline. Dan Fisher has experience acting for special committees in the wake of corporate scandals. Additionally, Fisher advised the special committee of the board of Neff Corporation on canceling a proposed merger with H&E Equipment Services and merging with United Rentals instead. Jeff Kochian is another key contact.
- Energy: transactions: oil and gas - United States > Industry focus
- Corporate governance - United States > M&A/corporate and commercial
- Capital markets: debt - United States > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: oil and gas
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Dispute resolution > Appellate
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Corporate governance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Government > Government contracts
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Capital markets: debt
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Finance > Project finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism