Michael Byrd > Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP > Houston, United States > Lawyer Profile
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Offices
111 LOUISIANA STREET, 44TH FLOOR
HOUSTON, TX 77002
- Go to...
Partner; Oil & Gas/Natural Resources
Michael Byrd is a transactional lawyer who knows oil and gas from the ground up. Before focusing on upstream mergers and acquisitions, Mike was immersed in the nuts and bolts of oil and gas exploration and development for nearly two decades, as both a lawyer and a landman. He has been certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization for more than 20 years, and he has served 5 times as chair of the Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Exam Commission, which writes and grades the exam for that certification. Mike’s deep knowledge of oil and gas law enables him to spot subtle, but critical, issues in purchase and sale agreements. His insights have often led to material purchase price adjustments and reallocation of risk in favor of his clients.
Authored numerous articles on energy matters, including for State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section Report and Houston Bar Association Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section.
To learn more about Mr. Byrd, please visit his full profile: https://www.akingump.com/en/lawyers-advisors/michael-byrd.html
Admitted in Texas, Louisiana and Pennsylvania.
Advisory Board Member, Institute for Energy Law; Member, American Association of Professional Landmen.
University of Texas School of Law, JD 1987
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP advises public and private energy companies, project sponsors, banks and investors on construction and development mandates, operational matters and finance transactions. Standout highlights included Dallas-based Seth Molay and New York-based Jeffrey Kochian acting for Diamondback Energy in its announced $9.2bn acquisition of Energen Corporation. The practice is jointly headed by Rick Burdick in the Washington DC office, and John Goodgame and Christine LaFollette in Houston. Other key lawyers include Michael Byrd, who specializes in upstream M&A, and David Elder, who focuses on securities offerings and corporate governance. Steven Otillar left for White & Case LLP, but David Sweeney and Robert Shearer joined the team from K&L Gates and Baker & Hostetler LLP, respectively.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: oil and gas
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Dispute resolution > Appellate
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Corporate governance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Government > Government contracts
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Capital markets: debt
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Finance > Project finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism