Abid Qureshi > Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Offices
ONE BRYANT PARK
NEW YORK, NY 10036
- Go to...
Partner; Financial Restructuring
Abid Qureshi is a dedicated financial restructuring litigator, giving him comprehensive experience in virtually every issue that arises in the course of a complex restructuring. Abid has litigated the most complex, cutting-edge issues in the highest-profile Chapter 11 cases, and he also has extensive experience in cross-border insolvencies and Chapter 15 proceedings. He represents debtors, creditors, bondholders, hedge funds, institutional investors, and ad hoc and official creditors’ committees.
Abid’s recent litigations include: contested plan confirmation proceedings; valuation disputes; cram-down disputes; make-whole and no-call claims; fraudulent transfer and preference; breaches of fiduciary duty; fraudulent transfer claims; asset sales; and valuation proceedings.
Abid has led litigation teams in hotly contested proceedings, including in First Energy Solutions Corp.; Momentive Performance Materials, Inc.; Avaya Inc.; and Seadrill Limited.
To learn more about Mr. Qureshi, please visit his profile here: https://www.akingump.com/en/lawyers-advisors/abid-qureshi.html
For many years, Abid has been recognized as a leading lawyer by various industry publications and directories, including The Legal 500 US, Benchmark Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America and IFLR100.
BA, with highest honors, University of British Columbia; JD, University of Toronto; LLM, with merit, London School of Economics and Political Science.
Financial restructuring at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP started with a focus on creditor clients (committees, bondholders, and companies) and then expanded into the debtor and distressed companies side. Now the group is at the forefront in both areas and features a very strong bench of New York-based attorneys of the caliber of global co-head Daniel Golden, co-administrative partners Abid Qureshi and Philip Dublin, and highly praised Ira Dizengoff. Their team acted in the most significant restructuring and bankruptcy deals in the latest years, including Insys Therapeutics, PG&E Corporation, and Purdue Pharma. The practice stands out for being able to ‘tap the excellent resources of other areas of expertise’ if needed, and strong collaboration with the firm’s London office.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Corporate governance
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Investment funds > Alternative/hedge funds
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Government > Government contracts
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Investment funds > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (International Trade Commission)
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Finance > Project finance
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism