Donald R Pongrace > Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Offices
Robert S. Strauss Tower
2001 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20006-1037
- Go to...
Donald R Pongrace
Partner; Public Law & Policy
Chair of Akin Gump’s American Indian Law and Policy Practice; advises and represents tribal clients on complex private, and government-to-government negotiations, including land and water claims, gaming compacts, development projects, transportation infrastructure and rights of way, among others; represents clients in negotiations, federal, state and tribal courts, and before federal agencies and the U.S. Congress.
To learn more about Mr. Pongrace, please visit his full profile: https://www.akingump.com/en/lawyers-advisors/donald-r-pongrace.html
District of Columbia Bar.
BA (magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa), Bates College (1979); JD (magna cum laude), American University (1985); law clerk, Honorable HE Widener Jr, US Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit (1985-86).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading lawyers)
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP has great experience in acting for tribes, and is overseen by Donald R Pongrace in Washington, DC. An experienced group of practitioners who previously served in federal agencies including the Interior Department and the National Indian Gaming Commission, the team advises tribal governments on sovereignty issues, economic development, and has a specialism in land and water rights settlements. Allison Binney, who previously served as chief counsel to the U.S Senate Committe on Indian Affairs is the key contact for defending tribal government before tribal courts and federal agencies on land, tax, and gaming matters. Senior counsel Katie Brossy is also recommended, as is Merrill Godfrey, who handles high-stakes litigation for Indian tribes across the United States. The practice also focuses on assisting tribal clients on diversifying their business away from casinos to renewable energy projects and accessing emerging markets in South America. For economic issues, Jason Hauter is the name for development on American Indian lands, particularly water resource and management. Brette Pena joined the group from the U.S District Court- Oklahoma Northern Circuit.
- Leading lawyers - United States > Industry focus > Native American law
- Native American law - United States > Industry focus
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Government > Government relations
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: plaintiff
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Education
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- International Trade > International trade
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Industry focus > Native American law
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Corporate governance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Government > Government contracts
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (International Trade Commission)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Industry focus > Sport
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism