Spencer S Griffith > Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Offices
2001 K St NW
Washington, DC 20006
- Go to...
Spencer S Griffith
Partner; International Trade
Spencer Griffith’s practice focuses on international trade and general litigation matters, including WTO issues, countervailing duty cases, antidumping cases, trade policy, arbitrations, and antitrust counseling and litigation. He has represented clients in a variety of trade cases before the U.S. Department of Commerce, the International Trade Commission, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative and the Court of International Trade. He has handled numerous WTO disputes for government clients. He advises clients in Canada, Japan, China, Korea, and Taiwan and has experience in various industries, including steel, semiconductors and cement. Spencer has handled some of the highest-profile trade cases, including, lumber from Canada, solar panels from China, and semiconductors from Korea. He also served as the Partner in Charge of Akin Gump’s Beijing office from 2009-2012.
To learn more about Mr. Griffith, please visit his full profile: https://www.akingump.com/en/lawyers-advisors/spencer-s-griffith.html
Attorney at Arnold & Porter; Staff attorney in the Hong Kong attorney general’s chambers as a Luce scholar; International Trade Advisor in then-Sen. Albert Gore’s 1988 presidential campaign.
District of Columbia Bar Association; Member of the U.S. Court of International Trade, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
A.B., Brown University, with honors; J.D., New York University School of Law, Order of the Coif, with highest distinction
United States > Dispute resolution > International trade
‘Very strong on trade compliance matters‘ in particular, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP‘s Washington DC-based team provides ‘excellent advice‘ to multinational corporates from a wide array of industries, including energy, defense and technology. Thomas McCarthy excels in export controls and sanctions matters, and has specialist knowledge of International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Kevin Wolf is also well regarded in the export controls space and is able to bring particular credibility to work in the area as a result of his recent role at the DOC, where he was the senior official overseeing the regulation of export controls at the intersection of technology and national security. Lars-Erik Hjelm is noted for his customs expertise, while Bernd Janzen and Spencer Griffith are often involved in significant trade remedies matters. In April 2019, the firm welcomed former White House international economics adviser Clete Willems into its public law and policy practice.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: oil and gas
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Dispute resolution > Appellate
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Corporate governance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Government > Government contracts
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Capital markets: debt
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Finance > Project finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism