Charles Connolly > Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Offices
Robert S. Strauss Tower
2001 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20006-1037
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- Firm Profile
- Go to...
Co-head of Akin Gump’s white collar defense and global investigations practice group. Represents companies and individuals in government investigations, white collar criminal defense matters, internal investigations and complex commercial litigation. Substantive areas include Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-money laundering (AML) statutes, financial fraud, federal procurement, public corruption, sanctions regimes, and False Claims Act (FCA) litigation. He has conducted investigations in multiple domestic jurisdictions, as well as in Latin America, China, Europe and the Middle East.
To learn more about Mr. Connolly, please visit his full profile: https://www.akingump.com/en/lawyers-advisors/charles-francis-connolly.html
Chief, Financial Crimes & Public Corruption Unit, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia; Deputy Chief, Financial Crimes & Public Corruption Unit, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia; Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia; Acting Deputy Chief of Staff, U.S. Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General; Counselor, U.S. Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General.
B.A., Johns Hopkins University, with honors, 1991; J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, cum laude, 1995.
United States > Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP’s white-collar defense and government investigations department acts for financial institutions, broker-dealers and private investment funds, as well as senior executives. It has particular experience in securities and commodities matters, and in investigations and enforcement issues. Washington DC’s Charles Connolly is a name to note for financial fraud, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) issues, Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) matters, corruption and anti-money laundering; he heads the team alongside Michael Asaro and James J Benjamin, Jr. Ian McGinley joined from the US Attorney’s Office for the SDNY in September 2021, whilst Doug Maynard left for an in-house role at GTT Communications. Attorneys are based in New York unless otherwise stated.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Government > Government relations
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: plaintiff
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Education
- Energy > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Industry focus > Native American law
- International Trade > Trade remedies and trade policy
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Corporate governance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Government > Government contracts
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Energy > Renewable/alternative power
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (International Trade Commission)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Industry focus > Sport
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism