Bob Lian > Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Offices
Robert S. Strauss Tower
2001 K Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20006-1037
- Go to...
Partner; Labor and Employment
Drawing on more than 25 years of litigation experience representing employers and executives in a diverse array of industries, Bob Lian represents clients in their most challenging workplace legal issues. These include class and collective action claims, internal and regulatory investigations, disputes with executives, and restrictive covenant and competitive hiring claims. He also provides strategic advice to companies on a range of workplace legal issues. Mr. Lian also works with clients on a full range of occupational health and safety matters. For over a decade, he has led the firm’s labor and employment practice.
To learn more about Mr. Lian, please visit his full profile: https://www.akingump.com/en/lawyers-advisors/robert-g-lian.html.
Member, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Labor and Employment Committee
J.D., The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, with distinction, 1993; B.A., Colby College, 1990
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP handles complex and sensitive legal problems, from nationwide wage and hour class actions and equal employment opportunity (EEO) disputes to complex labor controversies and high-profile arbitration proceedings. The team is led by Washington DC–based partner Bob Lian, who deals with complex employment litigation, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) matters and whistleblower work. Lauren Leyden in New York has represented hedge funds, food producers and private equity funds in high-value acquisitions and restructurings.
United States > Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP has notable experience in class and collective actions, often representing large corporations from the retail, food and drink, sports and services industries. The team, which is led by Washington DC-based Bob Lian, acts in wage and hour class actions, labor issues and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) disputes. Supporting these efforts is Daniel L Nash, a recognized litigation lawyer, with arbitration and litigation specialists Stacey Eisenstein and Esther G Lander also noted in Washington DC. In charge of the Los Angeles office is Gregory W. Knopp, who has experience in PAGA claims. Donna Mezias in San Francisco is a key contact for California labor and employment matters. Gary McLaughlin departed in September 2021 to Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP.
- Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense - United States > Labor and employment
- Workplace and employment counseling - United States > Labor and employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Government > Government relations
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: plaintiff
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Education
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- International Trade > International trade
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Industry focus > Native American law
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Corporate governance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Government > Government contracts
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (International Trade Commission)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Industry focus > Sport
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism