Mr Weyinmi Popo > Akin Gump LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Akin Gump LLP Offices
TEN BISHOPS SQUARE
- Go to...
Mr Weyinmi Popo
Weyinmi Popo, a cross-border corporate finance lawyer, advises various Africa-focused private equity sponsors, strategic investors and family offices on complex cross-border investments. He focuses on private equity and mergers and acquisitions transactions involving Africa and advises UK and international clients on M&A, private equity, infrastructure and energy transactions. Mr. Popo is a native of Nigeria and is a regular contributor to thought leadership on legal and other issues regarding cross-border transactions in Africa.
To learn more about Mr. Popo, please visit his full profile: https://www.akingump.com/en/lawyers-advisors/weyinmi-popo.html
LL.B., University of Bristol, 1995, B.C.L., University of Oxford, 1996, DLP, University of Bristol, 1997
Akin Gump LLP‘s London office is highly regarded by clients for its ‘depth of talent and resources’ on high-value, cross-border transactions. The team is particularly noted for its strength in emerging markets, handling major energy, TMT, and infrastructure deals for clients in locations such as Russia, the CIS, Africa, and Latin America. Joint practice heads Sebastian Rice and Daniel G. Walsh both boast significant experience in international M&A, variously specialising in private equity, venture capital, and telecoms deals. The practice is benefitting from its 2019 hires; Gavin Weir is roundly praised by clients as ‘the definition of a trusted adviser’, Shaun Lascelles is recommended for his deep knowledge of international oil and gas markets, while Weyinmi Popo is a key contact for Africa-focused private equity sponsors, strategic investors and family offices.
Transactional powerhouse Akin Gump LLP‘s oil and gas group has an ‘excellent‘ track record acting in high-value and cross-border energy M&A, disputes, restructurings, and regulatory work. The group has significant global project financing expertise and advises across the full life-cycle of upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas work. The team has extensive experience working in emerging markets with Weyinmi Popo and private equity specialist Shaun Lascelles focusing on Africa mandates and Simon Rootsey in Latin America. London international arbitration head Justin Williams is another key name, working with Hamish Lal and counsel Jenny Arlington on the contentious side. Transactional head Julian Nichol left to join Watson Farley & Williams LLP in September 2021.
The London finance group at Akin Gump LLP works closely with colleagues in Frankfurt, Moscow, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the US on cross-border finance transactions; the firm is particularly noted for its work in Russia, the Middle East and Central Asia. Over the last 20 years, has raised more than $50bn for clients, including a $1.5bn Eurobond, a $1bn project financing and $500m revolving credit facility for longstanding client LUKOIL in 2020. Robert Aulsebrook focuses on international debt finance, project finance, capital markets and derivatives mandates, while Weyinmi Popo is a key adviser to Africa-focused private equity sponsors. Shaun Lascelles handles cross-border M&A and private equity transactions.
Akin Gump LLP‘s private equity team has been building its reputation in London following a series of hires over recent years. It acts on a large volume of matters, including acquisitions, investments, joint ventures, and disposals and has a particularly strong presence in emerging markets, with recent deals involving companies in Nigeria, South Africa, and Colombia as well as in Russia. Shaun Lascelles focuses on emerging markets, and has considerable experience acting in the energy space. Simon Rootsey advises on a range of cross-border mandates, while Weyinmi Popo is noted for his work in the African market. The practice is led by Sebastian Rice, who also leads the firm’s Hong Kong practice.
- Leading individuals - London > Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Oil and gas - London > Projects, energy and natural resources
- Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m) - London > Corporate and commercial
- Emerging markets - London > Industry focus
- M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £500m+ - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds (including infrastructure funds)
- Investment fund formation and management > Hedge funds
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Finance > Debt capital markets
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition: trade, WTO anti-dumping and customs
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Finance > Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £500m+