John Adams > Browne Jacobson LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Browne Jacobson LLP Offices
6 BEVIS MARKS
- Go to...
John is a partner and head of Insolvency and Dispute Resolution in London leading a team specialising in both domestic and cross-border insolvency and commercial disputes. He has a specialism in contentious insolvency matters which often arise out of fraud such as his work advising the US Trustee of Bernard Madoff L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC and the estate of Bernard L. Madoff. He advises on all aspects of asset investigation and recovery including in the context of corporate and personal insolvency.
John has vast experience of recovery of all types of assets from the fraudster’s stereotypical Spanish properties to racehorses, bitcoin and other cryptocurrency.
The fraud matters that John advises on often involve criminal or regulatory investigations running in tandem which requires liaising with the appropriate authority. John is also a great tactician and well versed in using the full litigation toolbox to achieve the desired outcome for his clients including worldwide freezing orders and third-party disclosure orders such as Norwich Pharmacal Orders.
Although John is best known for his contentious insolvency and fraud work, he also advises on non-contentious insolvency matters including advising directors on the appointment of administrators or liquidators and advising on the sale or purchase of assets of insolvent companies.
John is a member of several insolvency and fraud associations including: Insolvency Lawyers Association (ILA), R3 – Association of Business Recovery Professionals, INSOL Europe/International, Fraud Lawyers Association, London Solicitors Litigation Association, Financial Services Lawyers Association. In addition to regularly attending fraud and insolvency conferences, John is often invited to speak including at the INSOL Europe Annual Congress and the Cambridge International Symposium on Economic Crime.
2015 – Present Browne Jacobson LLP
2008 – 2015 Morrison & Foerster (UK) LLP
2002 – 2008 Irwin Mitchell LLP
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Insolvency Lawyers Association (ILA)
- R3 – Association of Business Recovery Professionals
- INSOL Europe
- Fraud Lawyers Association
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
2004 Qualified and admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales
2001 – 2002 Diploma in Legal Practice (College of Law Chester)
1997 – 2000 LLB Law (University of Leicester)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Public sector > Education: schools
- Public sector > Education: individuals
- Public sector > Healthcare
- Public sector > Local government
- Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
- Public sector > Education: institutions
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)