Mike Mousdale > Browne Jacobson LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Browne Jacobson LLP Offices
14th Floor, No.1 Spinningfields
1 Hardman square, Spinningfields
- Go to...
Michael is a partner in the firm and a recognised leader in the fields of public procurement, local government, administrative and public law.
He has led on some of the largest and most innovative transactions in the sector. He acted on three of the first four local authority PFI schemes, delivered the first local government LLP joint venture and put together a number of strategic partnerships. Michael’s experience covers all services, including schools, health, waste, leisure, IT and support services, transport and housing. Details of more recent schemes include:
- Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority – the major PFI was terminated by mutual consent in 2017 because of failures in the facilities and the unaffordability. Michael led the negotiations to exit the deal and secured substantial savings for the Authority. He also re-negotiated the run-off arrangements with Viridor and the re-structure of the “second” project (the Thermal Power Station at Ineos Chlor in Runcorn).
- Lancashire County Council – Michael advised the Council on its termination and settlement of claims relating to its PFI waste deal with Global Renewables. Mike also advised on the Council’s judicial review of DEFRA relating to the withdrawal of PFI Credits, which led to a satisfactory financial settlement for the Council.
- Michael is advising Derby City Council and Derbyshire County Council in relation to a major Energy from Waste PPP.
- Michael has advised both the Local Government Association and the Welsh Local Government Association into matters relating to their duties to provide adult social care in the event of failure of the largest supplier of care in the marketplace.
- Conwy County Borough Council – Michael led the major Town Centre Regeneration of Colwyn Bay, centred around the provision of new Office Accommodation for the Council, facilitating the move from wartime government accommodation at Rhos and the releasing of the former Civic Centre at Eireas Park for the redevelopment as a luxury hotel or care facility.
- Michael provided procurement and project advice to Walsall MBC and Homes England on the Phoenix 10 scheme, a competitive dialogue procurement to redevelop heavily contaminated land at Junction 10 of the M6 for light industrial and warehousing use.
- Michael provided advice to the WLGA and the 22 Welsh Councils on duties in relation to collaboration in health and care arrangements.
- Advising major government supplier on challenge against a local authority to award a contract without competition. A settlement was reached in which the client received a payment for early termination of the existing contract and compensation.
Michael speaks at many conferences and seminars, such as for SOLACE, the LGA and Solicitors in Local Government. He is a regular speaker at the leading public procurement conference run by White Paper Conferences, alongside other leading practitioners. He regularly provides training to clients and organisations such as CIPFA on subjects such as procurement, local authority companies and commercialisation of services in local government.
Michael regularly contributes to the legal press, such as Municipal Journal and Local Government Chronicle. He wrote the definitive legal guidance on Collaboration for the Welsh Local Government Association.
- Solicitor – admitted 1988
- Law Society Diploma in Local Government Law and Practice – 1990