Emma Rees > Browne Jacobson LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Browne Jacobson LLP Offices
VICTORIA SQUARE HOUSE
- Go to...
Health, Advisory & Litigation
Emma is a Partner and a Defendant Clinical Negligence Specialist with 25 years’ experience of acting for NHS Trusts and NHS Resolution in the defence of NHS hospitals and staff.
She specialises in high value catastrophic injury claims particularly those relating to complex birth injury; acquired brain and spinal injury in both children and adults and complex limb amputation claims. Her expertise extends to resolution of both liability and quantum issues in the course of litigation and by mediation.
This year she has successfully managed cases including:
- A complex birth injury claim that focused on antenatal management and an alleged failure to adhere to Montgomery consent issues due to alleged failures to offer earlier induction of labour which it was alleged would have led to earlier delivery uninjured. Matters proceeded on liability only but post experts’ meetings and pre-trial it was possible to secure a substantially discounted settlement which included a full and final quantum settlement subsequently approved by the court despite an absence of up to date formal condition and prognosis reports.
- A limb amputation claim where liability was not in issue but where arguments were raised for the first time during settlement discussions concerning prosthetics and life expectancy which were both unpleaded and unsupported by expert evidence. Despite this it was possible to secure a resolution at mediation on substantially discounted terms on a PPO basis.
- A very high value cerebral palsy claim involving a young child with retained intellect and ability to use assistive technology. Liability was not in issue. The claim was successfully mediated to resolve issues as to appropriate accommodation provision and probable step changes in care and case management needs. PPO settlement secured at mediation and approved at court.
- Mills and Reeve – 1998 – 2001
- The Lewington Partnership – 1995 – 1998
- Winter-Taylors – 1993 – 1995
- Law Society
- Association of Women Solicitors
- Solicitor – admitted November 1993
- BA (Hons)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
- Public sector > Education
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Human resources > Employment
- Public sector > Health
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction