Richard Nicholas > Browne Jacobson LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Browne Jacobson LLP Offices
103 Colmore Row
- Firm Profile
- Go to...
Commercial team, business services group.
Richard is a partner in the technology group working on large scale technology and digital projects as well as related data issues. He focuses on technology and outsourcing deals, cloud computing and digital law, together with the data aspects of those deals. Recent advice has been around issues of artificial intelligence and cyber security and the impact of personal data on new technologies.
He regularly advises technology businesses as well as their customers on procurement of and adoption of new technologies. This has included advising:
• a PLC on the development of an employee tracking app and the related data protection issues in respect of its use
• a Digital Marketing/ Influencer business on its compliance with data law and its agreements and development of a “salesforce” software equivalent for online influencers
• an international technology business on the supply of CRM technology to several FTSE 100 companies.
• One of the world’s leading providers of B2B IT systems on its equipment, software and services agreements
Richard regularly speaks on Technology, Data and Digital law issues, including CompTIA (the Computing Trade and Industry Association), Privacy Paths podcasts and the “Digital Leaders Conference”. He is a regular speaker at technology events including regular sessions for DPOs and IT directors.
Richard is also a coach to a number of businesses and has for the last 15 years run a network for in house lawyers across a wide range of sectors.
Trained Wragge & Co LLP; qualified into technology team 2000; solicitor; associate in technology team; Browne Jacobson, established and built technology practice in Birmingham office, 2006; partner 2009, having built up a practice based upon practical advice and the needs of in-house counsel.
Society of Computers and Law.
Universite de Lyon III (1995 Diplome d’Etudes Universitaires Francais (DEUF) French Law); University of Essex (1996 LLB Hons Law and French Law); College of Law (1997 PG Dip LPC); University of Nottingham (2008 PG Dip Commercial Intellectual Property).
Squash, bringing up children.
West Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
Bolstered by a large national team, Browne Jacobson LLP have a long track record of working on critical, large-scale IT transactions as part of their expertise in digital transformation. The technology team has a strong practice in both the private and public sectors, working on fintech projects, disruptive technologies and outsourcing transactions for start-ups. Team leader Richard Nicholas focuses on technology and outsourcing deals, cloud computing and digital law.
West Midlands > Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
Regularly attracting wider market acclaim for its capabilities in corporate and commercial dealings, Browne Jacobson LLP is sought out by a number of corporations, venture capitalists, and private equity firms seeking assistance in cross-border transactions. Tech and VC specialist Mike Jackson works across a number of sectors on fundraisings, acquisitions, and exits, most recently for clients in automotive manufacturing and clean energy production. Richard Nicholas helms the team’s commercial offering, working with an array of in-house counsel – particularly in the tech and data space – on the full gamut of technical and contractual concerns. Gareth Davies runs the West Midlands private equity desk, advising a diverse roster of mid-market funds and PE-backed SME portfolio companies, while Clare Auty ’s expertise in the UK health market ensures that she is regularly instructed by companies and asset managers on inbound investment transactions. Senior associate Kirk Glenn, who focuses on high-value energy deals, and senior associate Clare Hanna, an SME and FSI specialist, are also standouts. All named lawyers are based in Birmingham.
- Corporate and commercial: Birmingham - West Midlands > Corporate and commercial
- IT and telecoms - West Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Public sector > Education
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Construction
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Planning