Paul Ray > Browne Jacobson LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Browne Jacobson LLP Offices
VICTORIA SQUARE HOUSE
- Go to...
Paul has been a banking & finance lawyer practising in the Midlands for almost 20 years. He has been a banking & finance partner at Browne Jacobson since 2005 and he heads up the firm’s banking & finance team nationally.
He has built up that team so that it is now highly regarded with the capacity and skills to act on sizeable and complex transactions. The team now comprises four partners and eight other lawyers nationally. That includes a team of 10 lawyers across the Midlands making it one of the largest teams in that region.
Evidence of this team’s capability is that over the last 12 months it has acted on:
- 10 private equity transactions
- nine funding transactions for Homes England-Investments
- 12 refinancings where the debt facilities in each case exceeded £20m.
Paul is very well connected in the funding sector in particular in the Midlands and he has strong relationships with the leading regional directors at the key funders. This is evidenced by the large number of funders’ panels that the firm has secured a place on under Paul’s leadership. These funders include Clydesdale Bank, Homes England, HSBC, RBS/Natwest and Santander.
Finally Paul is a versatile lawyer with wide experience across both the public and private sectors. Paul and his team therefore act regularly on significant transactions in both the public and private sectors. For example over the last year Paul has acted for:
- Local Space Housing Association on its £75m private placement to deliver 800 affordable homes in East London
- Investec Bank Plc on its facilities to the Pet Family group: a leading UK pet retailer with main brand “Pets Corner”
- Clydesdale Bank Plc on its refinancing and development facilities to the Cupio Healthcare Group (Precious Homes)
- Nottingham City Council on its £18million facility to fund Nottingham College’s £52m skills hub development
Retail management Gateway Foodmarkets Ltd and Tesco Stores Plc 1986-93; trained Shoosmiths; qualified 1997; assistant solicitor and associate solicitor Shoosmiths 1997-2000; assistant solicitor and associate solicitor Eversheds, Birmingham 2000-05; partner Browne Jacobson LLP 2005.
Haileybury School; Aston University (1986 BSc Hons).
Spending time with young family of three children; camping in the Peak District.
Browne Jacobson LLP‘s Nottingham office is one of the firm’s main centres of banking and finance work, along with those in Manchester and Birmingham; Paul Ray oversees the practice across all three offices. The practice undertakes a wide range of financing transactions, and also stands out for its work in private equity, acting for banks, private equity houses and management teams, as well as those connected with the health and real estate sectors. Associate Mark Lewis heads up the property finance practice. Asset-based lending is another core area of strength; Shaun McCabe has substantial experience in this area.
The growing banking and finance team at Browne Jacobson LLP recently welcomed Paul Hill, who joined from Allen & Overy LLP in March 2019. The practice is led by Paul Ray, who is known for his work for funders such as Homes England, and is frequently involved in private equity, healthcare and residential housing transactions.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
- Public sector > Education
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Human resources > Employment
- Public sector > Health
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction