Derek Hogg > Harper Macleod LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
CITYPOINT, 65 HAYMARKET TERRACE
- Go to...
Derek acts on behalf of many registered social landlords (RSLs), local authorities and other public bodies in Scotland with particular emphasis on governance, regulatory and constitutional advice and property and funding work. Derek regularly advises clients in relation to governance and constitutional matters, the application of legislative developments and the development and implementation of policy, as well as general advisory work.
He is also very active in relation to RSL funding work, including having acted for the issuers in the vast majority of private placements involving Scottish RSLs in recent years.
He also has a breadth of experience in acting for clients on the management, acquisition and disposal of large housing portfolios which is unrivalled in Scotland. Derek led the legal team which successfully delivered the largest ever housing transfer in the UK – the transfer of 80,000 houses from Glasgow City Council to Glasgow Housing Association (GHA). Derek also acted as lead external solicitor to GHA over an eight year period in connection with its programme of second stage transfers which ultimately successfully delivered the transfer of circa. 20,000 houses by way of 35 separate transfers.
Derek also has over 25 years of mainstream commercial property experience and continues to act for a number of property investors and developers, including in relation to innovative funding structures to deliver affordable housing.
He is a former member of the committees of management of Hillcrest, Old Town and Trust Housing Associations, and is also qualified to act as a solicitor in England and Wales. He has also served as a Chairperson member of the Private Rented Housing Panel/Homeowners Housing Panel, and was also a contributing editor to the Thomson Reuters’ Scottish Lawyer’s Factbook on residential tenancies. Derek is a regular speaker at seminars and workshops run by the firm and by external organisations.
LLB (Hons) Dip LP NP
Harper Macleod LLP is regularly instructed by a diverse client roster comprising registered social landlords, faith-based charities, and trusts. Jointly managed by James McMorrow in Glasgow and Derek Hogg in Edinburgh, the team has demonstrable strength advising across the spectrum of matters leveraging its firm wide capabilities across employment law, as well on regulatory issues, governance matters and OSCR compliance. The wider team is made up of Jennifer Jack who acts in judicial reviews and senior associate Kelly Fraser who focuses on reorganisations and charity conversion issues.
Harper Macleod LLP‘s in-depth social housing expertise translates into regular instructions from registered social landlords (RSLs), public sector bodies and private developers and builds on the practice’s multidisciplinary approach. Consequently, the team is well placed to guide its clients through governance, regulatory, constitutional and property funding issues – an area of particular expertise for Derek Hogg and Collette Miller – alongside corporate, commercial and public procurement matters, which are key elements of James McMorrow‘s workload. McMorrow is based in Glasgow and jointly heads the group with Hogg in Edinburgh, while clients also benefit from the firm’s wide geographical reach with additional offices in Inverness, Elgin, Thurso and Shetland.
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Real estate > Social housing
- Social housing - Scotland > Real estate
- Charities and not-for-profit - Scotland > Private client
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning